PayPal Scam?

Chimera

I got these txts. Should I sell my 66 Riviera to this guy?!

I got these txts all in the same day from a 318 area code. Obviously it is a scam, yet it is a good reminder to be careful while selling (and buying). Or maybe I'm wrong and they want to pay asking price straight away??? hehehe.

"Do you still have it for sale? 1966 Buick Riviera"

"I'm okay with the price, but I'm just trying to make sure its in good condition. I'd like to take a proper look at it by myself, but as due to the nature of my job and current transfer location it won't be possible, so can i be rest assured i won't be disappointed with the purchase? Are you the 1st owner? When have you been using it? Does it has any rust or mechanical issues? I will appreciate close pics. thanks. David."

*I sent a basic response without any pictures yet, then the person replied*

"Sounds good. Your price seems cheaper & affordable compared to that of the previous seller, so i will gladly like you to consider it sold, cos i am willing. Do you have PayPal account? to pay what is good for you as I'm new to buying online, so my method of payment will be through the fastest and secure way to pay online (PayPal).

"Where are you located please? I am planning to make arrangement with a pickup company to enable pickup and paper works schedule at your location once payment is cleared and confirmed into your PayPal account. Do you have title?"

*My response:   ............................................*

I just went through this with my 67, which I finally sold. Don't waste your time. I had virtually the same pitch, from 3 different guys; they're all the same. I like the car/ it's for someone else/I'll pay asking price and arrange pick-up. But the tip off is "Do you have Pay Pal"?  I had a guy tell me "It's for my brother, a surprise for his birthday"/ I'll pay asking price plus $50 to take it off the advertisement. He said he was on a drilling well in the Gulf and didn't have access to e-mail ( while e-mailing me). But it always  starts with "Pay Pal".Whether its a text or e-mail, it'a always the same. Once you say " I don't have Pay Pal" they go away. I called Pay Pal and they said IF a transfer was made and the $$ cleared, then it's yours fair and square. But they said there's a lot of scammers who will always try to outfox you. If they sense greed ( I'll give you asking price") I think that's how it starts. Two of the three scammers were from Georgia.

When I asked 'Aren't you gonna ask me to lower the price" they get funny/ also, when the mention PayPal without asking for any pix or info, tell them to get lost.

I told one guy I was driving the car and I got stuck on a grade crossing and the car got cut in half by a freight train. I said as soon as I find the other half of the car I'd have it welded back together. He said "OK" Let me know when you're ready". Seriously.

• Thanks 1

By the way I posted ( last week) which venues I used and the rate of serious buyers. Hemmings was #1, followed by e-bay. Classic Auto Trader was zero ( only has it on for a week) and Craig's list had a few but that;s where the scammers lurk. Luckily I found a local buyer. And here in Jersey we've had about half of our cruise nites and shows rained out, which was my biggest disappointment. The local guy saw it on Hemmings ( the electronic version, not the book). The book that I'm still listed in doesn't come out till September. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, rocky5517 said:

I told one guy I was driving the car and I got stuck on a grade crossing and the car got cut in half by a freight train. I said as soon as I find the other half of the car I'd have it welded back together. He said "OK" Let me know when you're ready". Seriously.

I don't care who you are, that's there's funny!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1