50's pontiac automatic windshield washer system

Summershandy

I finally decided to get a windshield washer bottle because I think they look so cool. The holes are there and the seller confirmed fitment. I don't really intend of using it but now I'm curious on the operation. Most importantly the control switch and hook up. My wiper switch has 2 nozzle ports facing up. When I turn the switch on full, you can turn it a little more with a spring like feeling. When released it goes back. Could this be the switch for the washer? Are those ports the washer line? I also noticed I haven't exterior spray nozzles, just plugs. I would have to get them in order to be operational. Anyone else got this system in their mid 50's Pontiac? If these questions are correct, then I'd just need hose and nozzles to get them working.....which is OK with me! Thanks.

Mark

hi mark, as stated in april-1953 pontiac service craftsman news

the wiper control knob is designed for dual purpose, the wiper knob should be reworked as followed, 1, remove knob from from instrument panel by loosening set screw, 2, using punch to drive out dummy plug towards the rear of the knob, 3, install push rod and spring assembly in knob and install knob on instrument panel,  the rod and spring assembly is group 8.798, part number 4605136. you may need to find a 53 or 54 parts car that had the washer option. note, what you feel when turning the knob as far as you did, is wire cable binding up when the wiper motor slide switch has reached the end of it's travel.

charles l. coker

1953 pontiac tech advisor

tech advisor coordinator

pontiac oakland club int'l.

Thanks Charles. I'm going to have to take the switch out and inspect. Maybe I can throw a pic on here. I suspect it's already "washer ready" when you speak of a spring assembly especially when there's hose connection there. Should be easier to tell once out. Really hard to focus with it up in the dash. Cheers!

Mark