1947 Chrysler Windsor gear shift linkage

Good afternoon gentlemen,

I've got a 1947 Chrysler C-38 Windsor Club Coupe with a flathead 6 cyl. engine.  I've had it since the 1970s and it has always been garage kept.  Yesterday I took it for a spin and everything was fine until I decided to head home.  Couldn't get the gear shift lever to go into 3rd, reverse, or neutral and it made a heck of a racket when I tried to shift.  Luckily I was near home and got it in my garage with the help of a neighbor who pushed it.  We looked at the linkage and it looks like it lost a nut or something at the end as it seems very loose.  Have attached some photos that show what it looks like.  I'm not sure if a nut fell off the end of the bolt, or the rubber washer has given way, or what.  Do any of you good folks out there know what I need to do to fix this linkage.  I didn't know if the Mopar vendors carry repair kits for this linkage.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Ron H

IMG_3094.JPG

IMG_3095.JPG

IMG_3096.JPG

IMG_3097.JPG

From your pictures it is obvious that you certainly need a new shift linkage bushing. They are available - probably from Steeles Rubber.

I do not have my parts book in front of me and I am not at home until tomorrow to look at it or my car but it doesn't look like a nut fell off

but rather the bushing was so worn out that the end of the shaft that is tapered popped out. I believe from the pictures the tapered end gets pressed into the bushing and the bushing is what holds it in place. I may be wrong but someone will correct me if I am.

I probably have a linkage in my pile of parts if you need it or any parts.

Joe

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Joe Cocuzza said:

From your pictures it is obvious that you certainly need a new shift linkage bushing. They are available - probably from Steeles Rubber.

I do not have my parts book in front of me and I am not at home until tomorrow to look at it or my car but it doesn't look like a nut fell off

but rather the bushing was so worn out that the end of the shaft that is tapered popped out. I believe from the pictures the tapered end gets pressed into the bushing and the bushing is what holds it in place. I may be wrong but someone will correct me if I am.

I probably have a linkage in my pile of parts if you need it or any parts.

Joe

That's what I suspected.  Thanks for your help!