29' DeSoto K steering problem

GaryBudd

First off I would like to let you know I have the DeSoto registered and inspected.We have enjoyed a few outings.My steering problem is wander while driving.Drifts left until corrected,then right.I have the front end on jack stands and have found about 3-4" of play in steering wheel without the front tires moving.I have enclosed a few photos of steering gear.Is there some type of adjustment there?I called a front end garage but they have no idea or specs to help me.Any help would be appreciated.

Gary

IMG_0903.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

Tom is onto it for you.

This is the brief version from the Dodge Brothers 8 Instruction Book. There should be something similar in the DeSoto CF Instruction Book.

SteeringAdjustment.thumb.jpg.4dbe5203bd84d44cf22898412ed49f44.jpg

I trust you have a semi-fluid grease in it, not chassis grease? Semi--fluid grease is NLGI 00. It will flow back, slowly. Chassis grease won't flow back much and once you have turned a few times you have wiped all the lubricant off the worm.

How are the drag link ends and the tie rod ends and the king pins? They should all be in good condition to give good steering.

My Dodge Brothers 8 box was rebushed and carefully adjusted. I still have 0.5 to 0.75 inch play in the steering wheel at straight ahead, none near full lock.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Certainly start with the previous information, as 90 years on most of the worm gears are well and truly worn out. 

Drag links and idler arm have spring loaded ball and cup arrangements at each end, and generally they are badly worn giving lots of free play, so best to start first with the box and work out towards the ends. 

• Like 1

I had mine done by a local machine shop. They rebushed the sector shaft. The top and bottom ball bearings were OK, luckily, because they are NLA. There are no replacement worms and sectors and they are costly to have cut. So if there is any lateral movement in the sector shaft, you will benefit. I still have ca 3/4" play at the wheel and can't do anything about it with the current box.

• Like 1

You can't tell if there is play in the steering joints - drag link ends, tie rod ends, king pins - with the car in the air. You need a load on the steering gear. Get your friendly assistant to work the steering wheel back and forth with the car on the ground and look at each end in turn. Look for lateral movement at the steering box end of the Pitman or steering arm and at all the other places. Jack the car up and wiggle each wheel top to bottom to make sure the king pins are OK, also use a crow bar and make sure there is minimal up-down movement in front hub.

If you haven't had a really good look at the drag link ends, I suggest you do so. I thought mine were OK, but on inspection the ball in one end was so worn I could almost pull it out. Inspection means removing the split pin and undoing the nut. Make a screw driver for it so you don't wreck it. Look at all parts in there. You might be shocked at how worn they are.

Tractor Supply has in 3 point hitch department . Some lawn mowers used in trans ie Bolens . Usually called " Double Ott " and is pint squeeze tubes . Disassembly only way to get existing out . Figuring it got pushed a side , I just add this to mine numerous times until it got full . I added by removing the zert and  used bottle's nipple , against . I do get  oozing out bottom ,as it is thinner . But there is a cup/deflector on mine to catch before light switch . Do not see this on parts list in my BOI .

Some on these fora have talked of using Corn Head Grease, which apparently is a NLGI 00 grease. Penrite make a semi-fluid grease, which is available from one of the restoration supplies outfits.

It will "pour" easier if you heat the bottle up before attempting to put it in the steering box.

OK,removed steering gear.Found rusty sludge inside.There are two bearings,one on each side of worm gear,they are worn and loose.Now for the fun part.They are marked The Bearing Company of Lancaster but no numbers.I have enclosed photos of bearing.Anyone have any idea where I could find replacements? 11/2" OD 15/16" ID.

IMG_0909.JPG

IMG_0910.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG

Edited by GaryBudd (see edit history)

If they are similar to my Dodge 8 bearings, you can get one side and not the other. Mine came as cone and cup and I could get cups I think. They were in good enough condition so they went back in! They only have to work at low speed and low stress so that is OK.

What is the condition of the bushes on the sector shaft? Is there any lateral movement or play in the shaft in those bushes? That will cause play in the steering.