26 dodge sticking in 3rd

Hi! Today I took my wife for a run in my 1926 Dodge Brothers buckboard. We travelled about 15 km and when I came back in town she was well warmed up and running well, but when I slowed to turn a corner and shift down I clutched and attempted to pull out of top (3rd) gear into neutral and it seemed stuck, until I gave it a decent yank. I usually de-clutch once in neutral and give it a rev before clutching and shifting to second, but I've never had it stick in top before, it usually slides out easily so I'm wondering what might have caused it to stick in top. Once I come to rest it comes out easily or if I give it a good yank, but I've never had to force it before, so I'm wondering if it has developed a problem which will need attention?

I checked my gearbox and it was down on oil, It took a litre to bring it up to the mark. I took it for a run today around 20 km. At first the gearbox made a strange whirring noise in neutral with the clutch engaged, it was sticky in third for a while but at the end of my drive it was behaving normally again! So hopefully it was just unhappy and letting me know to top up the oil, as it seems ok now. I think this summer I'll drain, flush and refill the gearbox.

It leaks and it's been a decade since I've added any. I haven't checked it for 7 years, in the years prior to that when I did keep an eye on it, it never needed any. There's always a couple of small drops under where I park it if I go for a decent run, so probably natural attrition, I'll just need to check it each time I go over it with the grease guns, about 3-4 times a year.