Looking for low mileage 1991-1993 Buick Park Avenue

Dynaflash8

I am looking for a 1991 through 1993 Buick Park Avenue with 85,000 or less miles on it, located in or near Central, FL (Sebring).  I do not want a Park Avenue Ultra because the Supercharger would be a bug-a-boo if I broke down on the high going to or coming from a distant AACA Tour.  I would consider a 1992-1993 LeSabre Limited.  I might even consider a 1991-1993 Roadmaster if low mileage and reasonable.  I can't travel distance until the end of November due to my wife's health problem, so must be somewhere near central Florida.  I have just brought home my 1964 Buick Wildcat 2dr hardtop after a three-year cosmetic restoration.  After three years I just lost interest in it.  After I drive it some, that could change I suppose.  It has new OEM white over yellow paint, new OEM seats and trunk carpet, new brakes, exhaust, has tilt wheel six-way working power bench seat, factory AM-FM radio.  Needs some very minor items fixed like tailight bulb or ground, loose knob on the windshield wiper switch, and whatever else I haven't found yet in two days.  It also has new aftermarket A/C/heater that works through the dash vents and does not hang under the dash.  I haven't figured out a price yet.  I have $20K in it plus miscellaneous small parts.  I'd like not to lose money.

Our 1964 Buick Wildcat LH front.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Earl,
I am the second owner of a '93 Lesabre Limited with 110 k miles, a mostly garaged, but seasoned driver.   It is a great road car, easy on gas and handles well, mechanically the drive train is excellent, but electrically it has gone to you know where.  It would cost a small fortune to properly correct all the deficiencies.  Here are the problems, most are unresolved and are just being tolerated;  1. something kills the battery while the car sits (after unsuccessfully trying to diagnose, the "cure" was to just disconnect the battery ground if the car wasn't to be driven within several hours)  2. The interior lights stayed on, even with the doors closed.  The actuating switch hidden somewhere was never found, so out with its fuse.  No inside lights now.  3. The heater and ac blower stayed on, even when the key was off.  Found it to be caused by a $160 module buried deeply in the heater plenum.  I was able to find 2 modules at a Crazy Ray's junkyard for 6 bucks each, but I've blown through both of them by now, so it was cut the power wire to the blower motor and install a switch under the dash.  When on it runs only on one speed now,  full blast.  4. The antenna won't retract, luckily it failed when up.  5.  The ride leveler compressor motor failed. 
Also, the indicator in the dash showing which gear it is in failed, so it wouldn't pass Va. inspection, a horrendous job to get in there and fix it right.  I rigged up an external fix and got it through.  Finally, the bc-cc paint has lost lots of clear coat and looks bad.  For the most part, I believe these are age-related problems, and as a non-collectible car it's just not economically feasible to fix them right.
I still like Buicks, but the bottom line is, do you really want to get involved with a car so potentially trouble prone?

Good thinking.  My Dad's '91 had so many electrical problems the mechanics at the Buick dealership in Baltimore where my daughter works (I passed the car to her when my Dad passed) begged her to get a newer model and gave her the electrical manual.....and I have that now. :)

She's had better luck with the 2001 Park Avenue that I bought new at the dealership where she works.  None of my Park Avenue's ever experienced these problems.  Now, I did have a 1998 LeSabre Limited that had a dead battery when I got back to the airport from a trip.  A guy helped me jump start it that night.  The A/C never worked right again despite efforts by the local Buick dealership.  They improved it, but never fixed it like before.

Maybe you are right.  I just turned down a 54,000 original mile 1991 Park Avenue in northern Tennessee because the gas gauge had gone flucky.  They say the need has fallen off, cut I really think it has just gone below the eye level.  A guy here who runs a shop said sometimes they would go all the way around past full and look like they fell off.  The Check engine light was on too.....so I decided to stick with the troubles I already have with my 64 Wildcat.  Thanks for your comment.  Oh yes, my regular mechanic said the '91 has an early style computer and it's a tough one to get worked on.  So..........