PROM, memcal, etc.

ChrisWhewell

That Moates adapter works well, I had one in the '93 GP TDOHC & blew my own 27C256 starting with a TunerCat definition ('nother guy I helped with development). Unfortunately the Reatta unit fits into a slot in the dash.

OTOH you can replace the old PROM in the memcal with a new one once and then clean/reprogram many times. Since my changes are limited to running cooler and some minor tuning, I have good templates now.

9 hours ago, padgett said:

That Moates adapter works well, I had one in the '93 GP TDOHC & blew my own 27C256 starting with a TunerCat definition ('nother guy I helped with development). Unfortunately the Reatta unit fits into a slot in the dash.

OTOH you can replace the old PROM in the memcal with a new one once and then clean/reprogram many times. Since my changes are limited to running cooler and some minor tuning, I have good templates now.

I know this is getting a bit off topic but loosely related. I would be interested in the story behind the OBD1 tuning guys still available today. I would be grateful to hear how this was done. On a related item; I have been considering an emulator from Moates as a means of speeding up the tuning process and would value your thoughts if it would be a good investment. TIA

41 minutes ago, 2seater said:

I know this is getting a bit off topic but loosely related. I would be interested in the story behind the OBD1 tuning guys still available today. I would be grateful to hear how this was done. On a related item; I have been considering an emulator from Moates as a means of speeding up the tuning process and would value your thoughts if it would be a good investment. TIA

May I jump in here?  No Reatta.  I am running an OBD1 TBI on my '50 straight eight. I, to, am interested in any one tuning OBD1 systems. Just want to know if mine is tuned well.

Thanks

Ben

• 1 month later...

Maybe it melts everything. I'm pondering maybe that halogen lamp, but not so close. Then, use a magnifying glass to hit on every solder connection individually. I wish I could find a reliable ATYH memcal and just pop it in, this is turning into a long project

That would be my concern.....without commentary on the video, it looked like they were showing about 215 degrees would melt the solder.   my concern would be if you bumped anything some of the other surface mount components could shift.

A simple mask or shield to keep the heat from most of the other components.....maybe something as simple as aluminum foil.

I worked with lots of circuit boards back in ancient times. I think everything we did was thru hole components.    We had chips....the first one we did there were warning not to assemble boards if there was a thunder storm,  they were that concerned with

static discharge.   In the late "80's I went from PC Boards to cables so my board experience stopped there.