1937 Buick steering wheel

bhemi

I have a 1937 Buick Special coupe. It came with 3 steering wheels. two are black 3 spoke nondescript vintage looking wheels. One is a banjo style with a black plastic ring. none have horn buttons and/or rings. Was an ivory wheel an option in 1937 or only available in 1938 and was the banjo style and upgrade over the plain 3 spoke. Will 1938-147 wheels interchange as they seem a lot nice than the 1937?

Here's a photo from the '37 sales brochure:  

1654009097_1937Buick-022.thumb.jpg.e9e39a2bde4a17baf75e84ac9aea7df5.jpg

Artist rendering shows an ivory wheel.

DSC_2556.thumb.jpg.f871cb70eafc3dc707e49c84bf2605fa.jpg

I had my wheel restored based on that sales brochure picture.

Edited by Gary W
Learned new information! (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The "banjo" wheel was an option. The black steering wheel was standard equipment. I think that almost all of them either had the original wheel replaced with a banjo wheel later, or else almost everybody bought the optional wheel. The black wheels are rarely seen. While both 1937 and 1938 steering wheels were available in Ivory, the photo above is actually a 1938 wheel with a 1937 horn button, not a 1937 Steering Wheel. Many 1937s have been retrofitted with 1938 steering wheels. The difference is the 1937 banjo wheel spokes are straight so the horn ring sticks up making it very easy to accidentally hit the horn. The 1938 banjo wheel spokes have the bend visible in the photo which makes the horn ring not stick up as much which makes it a bit more difficult to accidentally hit the horn, although I still do it occasionally with the 1938 steering wheel on my 1937 Buick. Both 1937 and 1938 steering wheels will fit both years.  

• Like 4

The banjo wheels were also available in Mahogany in addition to Ivory. There is a bit of debate about the correct color of the Ivory wheels. One school of thought is that they were almost white and have yellowed over the years. Another school of thought is that they were a darker Ivory when new. I am much too young to know for sure. For years, I thought they were all Ivory, but have recently seen more Mahogany ones, although I think most people expect to see the more common Ivory color steering wheels. 

If I had a standard wheel in good condition, along with the original factory documentation, I would be tempted to use it. It would be a bit of a conversation starter since lots of people would try to tell you that it was incorrect.  

• Like 2

Gary's edited post now shows a perfect example of the 1937 Ivory banjo steering wheel. Any chance you can post some photos of your steering wheels. I would be interested in seeing more photos of the standard steering wheels. They seem to be very rare. 

Also, I guess I was remiss in not telling you Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. I also would encourage you to check out the 36-38 Buick Club website at http://www.3638buickclub.org/. Please let me know if you have any questions about the club. 

For a horn button, I am not aware of any reproduction ones available. It is possible that Dave Tacheny might have one. He is the best supplier for used parts for 1936-1941 Buicks. He is best reached by phone at 763-427-3460 between 4 and 7 pm Central.

I don't want to hijack the topic, but could someone enlighten me (us) about the ribs on the backside of the steering wheels? The reproduction wheel on my 1939 Roadmaster has pretty shallow ribs.  Is this typical of wheels from 1937 to 1939?  The ribs on the original wheel on my 1949 Super are very well defined.  I can get a much better purchase on the steering wheel on my 1949 with "armstrong steering." It fits the fingers better. Thanks!

12 hours ago, MCHinson said:

Any chance you can post some photos of your steering wheels. I would be interested in seeing more photos of the standard steering wheels. They seem to be very rare. 

Matt:  There is a listing on eBay right now advertising a 1937 Buick Steering wheel.  I couldn't tell you if it is correct or not, but the internal spline looks like it is correct.  ( I just took a couple screen shots)

153186059_ScreenShot2018-08-21at7_09_49AM.thumb.png.1a5ae501996194c22d5d9789d0ec8c3f.png

296269861_ScreenShot2018-08-21at7_10_05AM.thumb.png.c6b5f1b6fec46007eaaec9a5f514c366.png

1311940099_ScreenShot2018-08-21at7_09_34AM.thumb.png.fdb4091e2d496ff0d1ee220b4dfc72c7.png

I have been the editor for the Torque Tube II for the 36-38 Club for almost 3 years. I find it interesting that the "standard" steering wheel is so hard to find. In all of the photos submitted to me for the Torque Tube II,  have seen only one photo that I can recall of a car owned by a member of the 36-38 that has the black "standard" steering wheel. Almost all of them have an Ivory banjo wheel. Recently I have seen more and more Mahogany banjo wheels. I suspect that as the years have gone by, folks who were restoring cars just all tended to switch to the more desirable accessory steering wheel. There are also more 1937 Buicks in my local area that have 1938 steering wheels than have 1937 steering wheels, my own included. 

• Like 4

The pic of the black wheel is exactly like what is in the car and what I got as one of the spares. For what it's worth my car is a McLaughlin Buick made in Canada. maybe we got the cheap stuff :) 

I anyone has a complete buickrideheight.thumb.jpg.36d14bb15d116ed8fe777bc61a1ac22c.jpgivory wheel for sale let me know. My car was missing so many pieces I have decided on more modern running gear but I am keeping the body and interior mostly stock. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/20/2018 at 5:10 PM, MCHinson said:

The banjo wheels were also available in Mahogany in addition to Ivory. There is a bit of debate about the correct color of the Ivory wheels. One school of thought is that they were almost white and have yellowed over the years. Another school of thought is that they were a darker Ivory when new. I am much too young to know for sure. For years, I thought they were all Ivory, but have recently seen more Mahogany ones, although I think most people expect to see the more common Ivory color steering wheels. 

If I had a standard wheel in good condition, along with the original factory documentation, I would be tempted to use it. It would be a bit of a conversation starter since lots of people would try to tell you that it was incorrect.  

I'm pretty sure mahogany-colored wheels were standard on the big series cars. The brochures seem to show ivory rather than butterscotch-colored banjo wheels for the Specials, but who knows what liberties the artists took. It makes sense the '37 didn't have  a banjo wheel horn ring. Inadvertently sounding the horn on all the test driving that was done would've raised a red flag for someone.

I hadn't seen the black 3 spoke steering wheel before, but I have to say that I'm really digging it! My Century was missing the steering column when I bought it, but it came with a banjo wheel, (missing the grip) and horn ring so I'm not really sure what was original to the car. might have to keep my eyes peeled for a 3 spoke wheel, even at least for the interim since getting my wheel refinished will cost a pretty penny.

1 hour ago, Stooge said:

I hadn't seen the black 3 spoke steering wheel before, but I have to say that I'm really digging it! My Century was missing the steering column when I bought it, but it came with a banjo wheel, (missing the grip) and horn ring so I'm not really sure what was original to the car. might have to keep my eyes peeled for a 3 spoke wheel, even at least for the interim since getting my wheel refinished will cost a pretty penny.

I have one. From a 1950, bet it is the same.  Check if it is and let me know if interested. Won't be pricey.

Ben

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

I have one. From a 1950, bet it is the same.  Check if it is and let me know if interested. Won't be pricey.

Ben

I'll have a look at the spline count/ diameter this weekend, and if yours looks the same as the one Gary posted earlier, than i'll definitely be interested. Something very utilitarian about the standard wheel i'm really liking, especially for my car.

• Like 1

So here's a question for you:

Here are the pertinent pages from the Dealer Service Bulletins from 1937.  There are methods outlined as to properly adjust the clearances between the horn ring and and the steering wheel spokes, and the internal clearances for the horn ring.  I used this book to get my horn to actuate from all three spokes.   If you notice the drawing labelled "Section A-A", the cross section is the shape of a 1937 wheel, the spokes do not have the "drop" in them like the '38 wheel has.  This is why I was under the impression the artist took license and did not draw the horn ring in the book I mentioned earlier.  

So.... Is the horn ring correct for the 1937 Steering wheel?

1333038814_Buickhornringcover.thumb.jpeg.d183cffe8d8a9e2bda2adc217a784720.jpeg

This is the reference book I used to set the horn ring clearances.

1054758439_Buickhornring1.thumb.jpeg.c4ed234ca074edf16f7c66399b7cb2c0.jpeg

Scan of page 58:  "Horn Ring - 1937 All Series" (Fig. 70)

600562942_Buickhornring2.thumb.jpeg.429d0a1b84d4e658156566f3be63b2a6.jpeg

Scan of page 59.  (Fig 71)

Thanks! 

Gary

I thought I would chime in here and post this pic that Grant Z posted on another thread.  This is the first Buick I have seen with the standard black wheel.  I can see why Stooge likes it -- it has a much tougher look than the banjo wheel we are all used to.

black_wheel.thumb.jpg.2fe79a13997f5235418e7e767becbd3e.jpg

• Like 2