1931 Buick 8-66S- How can I replace a missing chassis serial number tag?

Str8-8-Dave

Now I'm worried.  I never thought to look under the right front fender of the 31 8-66S I acquired this spring to see if the serial number tag was there.  Well guess what- it ain't there.  I got a clear Illinois title for the car which was verified after a 3 day search of the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System conducted by the Michigan Secretary of State's office and signed off by Illinois DMV so there is no hanky-panky with the seller's title and the Michigan Secretary of State then collected the sales tax and issued a clear Michigan title.   That's the legal blather and I contacted the seller today who is making an effort to find the serial number tag.  The previous owner obviously removed the original tag while restoring the frame, the rivet holes are full of paint.  I'm just thinking ahead, if worse comes to worse and I can't recover the original is there a way to get an authentic reproduction made if I provide a copy of the title?  Any advice (other than you shoulda looked before you leapt)  highly appreciated...

Dave

The government wants to see a tamper proof number that can be used to identify a specific vehicle and used to match with supporting documentation to establish ownership. 

Originality aside (steel plate? brass plate? riveted? welded?) if you can not get the correct one, you can use a set of stamps and hammer the numbers (numbers that match your title and hopefully correctly describe the car - year, model etc.) into the metal on the frame. Something permanent is really all a good verifier wants to see.  

I would check with the Buick clubs someone most likely all ready makes reproduction tags, get one, stamp in your numbers and rivet back in place.  Like m-mman said they just want to see permanent looking identification. 

If you really want to know most likely there are numbers stamped in the frame.  Mine were under the radiator...I am working on getting the title corrected....they did not match.

• 3 months later...

Ok guys, I found THE source for Buick serial number tags at least.  Several weeks ago I did an E-Bay search on "serial number tags" and saw a data plate that looked very much like what I was looking for. 

Enter Robert de Ruyter and his Netherlands based company called DataTags4U, an E-Bay seller with a legitimate website where you can see examples of his work  www.dataplates4u.com.  I'm attaching a picture of the data plate installed on my car with some of the digits of the serial number obscured for privacy but this is a resource for replacing a missing ID tag for one of these veteran cars I thought worth sharing.

Thanks...

Dave 

DSC_0003_LI.jpg

DSC_0022.JPG

• Like 1