Franklin Spotting in Northern CA

TerryB

If you travel to the Gilmore Museum in Hickory Corners, Michigan, you'll be able to visit the Franklin collection! I've been there several times and end up spending a good percentage of my time in the Franklin showroom...

http://www.franklincar.org/FranklinGilmore/FrankCollectionGilmore.htm

The cars are all beautiful, but the one piece that always captures my imagination is the rolling chassis. It gives you an unobstructed look at how the air-cooling system works.

Down in Central Ohio, there's a 1928 Franklin survivor that I really like (photo below). I've seen it at several shows, but the owner is never near the car when I am, so I've never gotten to talk with him/her about it.

28Franklin.JPG

And you can see even more pictures of Franklins at the H.H. Franklin Club's website.  http://www.franklincar.org/

And for anyone passing through central NY the largest collection of Franklins in one place is at the North East Classic Car Museum. Along with about 150 other makes/models.  https://www.classiccarmuseum.org/

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:01 PM, TerryB said:

I think this is a late teens Franklin from the looks of the front of the car.  Spotted by my son in the Burlingame CA area a few days ago.

B4BD2802-5A82-4BB8-9592-E7DCC48CC258.jpeg

If that's who I think it is, it's a still original 1919 Series B touring that has been in the family a long time.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Just received word that the owner of that original 1919 Franklin touring, after traveling from Florida to a week long Franklin meet in central NY, then on to Seattle, then heading home through California (where the OP's picture  above caught him), has stopped for awhile in Louisiana to help a fellow club member with his Franklin engine rebuild, before continuing home to Florida.

H.H Franklin Club - It's not just a car club, it's like family.

Paul 

• Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 3:26 PM, Dave B. said:

After some electronic digging, I found the photo I took of the Franklin engine/frame at the Gilmore Museum:

HPIM1339.JPG

With the cast aluminum fan housing and cooling ductwork, that's a Series 10A engine - about 1922. 

Paul

And this 1919 example showed up at two shows during Monterey Car Week, the Classic Motorsports Magazine Monterey Kickoff Cruise-in and the Pacific Grove Rotary Concours Auto Rally.  Sorry I do not have a better overall picture of the car, I just took this one and a close-up of the engine.  I've always been fascinated by Franklin engines.

Just took a closer look at the original poster's photo and this is likely the same car, based on the rarity, location, and presence of modern front turn signals.

DSCN2508.jpg

Edited by Writer Jon
Update (see edit history)

On 9/8/2018 at 3:41 PM, PFitz said:

Just received word that the owner of that original 1919 Franklin touring, after traveling from Florida to a week long Franklin meet in central NY, then on to Seattle, then heading home through California (where the OP's picture  above caught him), has stopped for awhile in Louisiana to help a fellow club member with his Franklin engine rebuild, before continuing home to Florida.

H.H Franklin Club - It's not just a car club, it's like family.

Paul - according to Jim's Facebook page he's not that far along yet - on Saturday 8 September he was in Sun City, Arizona checking and adjusting the end play of the bearing on the rear axle that had been replaced in California, and lamenting that his new tyres put on a month ago (I want to say somewhere in North Dakota?) were wearing out and he'd be replacing the rear ones when he gets to Albuquerque. 

So he's some way yet from Louisiana...

Roger

1 hour ago, theKiwi said:

Paul - according to Jim's Facebook page he's not that far along yet - on Saturday 8 September he was in Sun City, Arizona checking and adjusting the end play of the bearing on the rear axle that had been replaced in California, and lamenting that his new tyres put on a month ago (I want to say somewhere in North Dakota?) were wearing out and he'd be replacing the rear ones when he gets to Albuquerque. 

So he's some way yet from Louisiana...

Roger

Roger, hi,

I was informed of Jim being in Louisiana by Jack the car's owner that Jim was helping. Jack mentioned it in his email to me last week requesting info to help get it running. Jack said Jim spent three days there helping Jack get the engine  back together, but it won't start now. 

Paul