56 T-Bird Won’t Start

mjp108

I have a ‘56 T-Bird that won’t start unless I jump it. It doesn’t “click” or anything. Totally dead.  It always starts when I jump it, which might suggest a battery problem. 

I just bought a new a new battery and installed it, expecting to have solved the problem. Nope. Still deader than a door nail.

Any ideas?  Since I can jump it, that seems to rule out starter and alternator problems.

Make sure all connections are clean. Check for corrosion inside the battery cable.  If they are original cables they might have  a lot inside where it is not easy to see. Make sure starter wires are tight and clean as well.  Sounds much like a contact situation  at the battery since jumping starts it right away. Double check engine grounds also..

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

I agree about the bad connection theory. Another thing often overlooked is the ground, on some cars the battery grounds to the body  and you MUST have a ground strap or cable from the body to the engine. If you don't you can have some odd problems, as the engine is mounted on rubber. Sometimes you get a ground and sometimes you don't. I had one car melt the choke cable off, the choke cable actually got red hot and melted, it was the only connection from the engine to the body.

To be clear, you must have a ground from the battery to the engine. If the ground cable goes to the body you must have a ground from body to engine. In fact you should have one in any case. If the battery grounds to the engine the body ground can be smaller.

• Like 1

The battery is, and always has been attached to the engine block. It’s connection looks clean. I’ve also just replaced the solenoid, but that didn’t solve the problem, either.

Have not yet checked the connection to the starter.

When you "jump" this engine, where do you connect the cables? If they are connected to the starter-solenoid, then you are isolating the car's battery and the heavy cables from the starting circuit. Check all the connections and cables in the usual starting circuit that you have isolated out of the start-up.

If you are very specific in your description of what you do, it is easier for us to diagnose. Photo's help too.

Automatic transmission?

If so, you may have an issue with the floor mounted shifter.

You may need to adjust or repair / replace as needed.

To those not familiar, these early 'Birds have to be in neutral in order to start. Silly, I agree.

Best of luck.

A bit more information is needed to be able to figure it out.

When you installed the new battery, was the car dead immediately, or was it dead sometime later? 

Also, was the "new" battery tested to make sure it was good?

If the electrical system seems to be totally dead with just the "new battery" and then the car starts normally when another battery is connected to the installed battery with jumper cables, it sounds like the installed battery is bad. I would suggest removing that battery and having it tested. If it checks good but won't start the car without another battery connected via jumper cables, I would make sure the battery is of sufficient capacity, although the electrical system appearing totally dead does not sound like an undersized battery.  

Did you clean the “inside” of both battery terminals? Is there still a hard lead oxide coating in there even after using that wire brush tool?                

Did you put a volt meter on the battery with the car running? You should get 13 to 14 volts when you rev it up to 1000 to 2000 RPM. Did you get the battery load tested? Maybe the new battery was low to begin with and the car is not charging it up.