What is it?

Bear bear

I wish I knew more about this picture. It was found in a collection of my family photographs. The family is centered around Cambria and Bedford County, Pennsylvania.

My thoughts are that it might be steam-powered by looking at the bottom of the running board you can see a rather heavy pipe and fittings but I have no proof of that. What strikes me as odd is the double steering wheel on the column; it makes me think it may be a hand throttle. That is why I am curious as to the make and type of power it used.

I can see that this one is going to be fun to figure out.

I've adjusted the image for a little clearer detail.

unknown.car.jpg

While I agree with 28 Chrysler that the crank and the radiator strongly suggest a gasoline-engined car, what strikes me most is the large diameter twenty-spoke artillery wheels with hard rubber tires. Can't recall another car with such wheels and tires and I initially thought they would indicate an electric car with a heavy set of batteries.

Also, I find it curious that the car seems to have a front license plate, although that may not be what it actually is.

The primary reason for a specific title is so people can easily find the post later, and also so people don't keep opening a topic they have already seen. In the past year or so, there must have been a dozen posts called "What is it." "Circa 1900's High-Wheeled Bus" would do.

While vehicle may be early as 1903, picture is most likely from later on, perhaps 1910s thus the license plate.

Thank you for understanding and I will get better with time, I promise!

To: nzcarnerd yes I see the differences like the tambour woodwork,  but there are similarities also, such as the heavy duty rims appear to be the same along with the Ironwork for the surrey top supports and the dual steering wheels. We may be looking at model year differences. I am finding this search to be a lot of fun.

This is for 28Chrysler I found a bus from Knox. I see some similarities but quite a few differences also. Let me know what you think.

639590707_knoxd6transportationcar.jpg.5c7807aec803a6578ee9c9d8de46bfe0.jpg

On 8/18/2018 at 10:22 AM, Gunsmoke said:

Don't we all hate when a poster titles his subject "what is it" in the What Is It forum! C'mon man! give it a proper title, just go in and edit. Title like "Circa 1900 9-Passenger Vehicle.

You bring up a valid point. I'm a major offender about putting "What Is It" in the subject box - it seemed appropriate at the time. I never gave a thought to going back to edit the title, which is a good idea, as it would let others know the question has been solved.

I will go back and edit some of my previous posts. Thank you.

Maybe if you change the name of the forum heading?
It infers the subject "What is it" as a place to put your picture of an Item you don't know how to
describe.
So your inclination is to post the picture in the heading.
That is how I interpreted that forum heading?
Sorry for the annoyance this post has caused! I was not intentional!
Please note I am appreciative of the responses I have received on this post.

• 2 weeks later...