Seat belts

Mars

This topic comes up so much...I was signing up for a fitness program this week, the fellow and I started talking.  Turns out his son is restoring an early 50's Jeep.  Military style.

I thought that was great.  He actually brought up the subject of seat belts, and said he'd insist on having them.

I stated that it was great, then asked him what held the seat in place?  Four quarter inch bolts through thin sheet metal?  Great that it keeps your son in place, but make sure the seat is properly anchored too.  Otherwise your son stays in place and the seat goes through him...the forces of a collision are incredible...

His eyes got wide, said I never thought of that....and a lot of people don't, either...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

I have seen that too. What is even better is when the lap belt is mounted to the seat base. So when the seat rips out of the floor, you are strapped to it.

Come on Xander.  Those are ejection seats.  Unfortunately the owner's usually forget to install the quick release for the canopy and just leave a nice imprint in whatever direction they go.  That's the moment they realize they forgot it, usually followed by the bang or thud. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another thing to consider when installing seat belts is, is the body going to stay on the chassis in the event of an accident?

I would not want to be attached to the frame if I thought that the body could be ripped off in a roll over.

In that case, a good reinforcement added on the body would keep you inside of the body, if not with the rest of the car.

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)