Oil cooler adaptor

Barney Eaton

A while back I ran across an Impala police car, the newer ones have 3800 V6 engines and the police upgrade adds an engine oil cooler.

Yesterday I found another one that is different....I think the heat got to me ...by the time I got if off the car,  I forgot to get the year.   So all  I have is pictures.

The first picture is looking at it from the wheel well...the adaptor is different than used on Reatta...it come straight out and I don't know if it will fit the Reatta.

The oil cooler is just an adaptor that attaches to the existing filter adaptor..second picture is the late Impala filter adaptor and the cooler adaptor.

Here are the two different cooler adaptors I have found....the one on the right is off an older Impala police car, it offers two different ways of exiting the adaptor,

note there are plugs that can be removed and the cooler hose can exit there.   The cooler adapter on the left is the one I found yesterday,  it happens to have quick disconnect fittings

the screw thing at the top of the picture is the threaded adaptor that hold the cooler adaptor to the filter adaptor.

the 4th picture is a late 1991 filter adaptor with the late cooler adaptor fitted.   

If you are not aware,   1988-1990 Reatta filter adaptor was the same and the disadvantage is you can only use the short oil filter ....a long filter sticks down too far and can get damaged.

1991 Reatta had a filter adaptor (5 photo with blue filter) that layed back on the sub-frame (engine cradle) you could use a long filter (shown) but the filters were hard to change and made a mess.

Sometime during the 1991 built they switched to the filter adaptor in picture 4.   This will allow you to use a long (higher capacity ) filter and it is easy to change....they were used on lots of 3800 engine

in 1992 and later,  so they are easy to find and have the advantage of using the long filter.  

The 6th picture is the late 1991 filter adaptor with the first oil cooler adaptor I found.

I need to do a little more research......maybe 3800 supercharged engines came with oil cooler adaptors........I will let you know.

You do not need to remove filter adaptor to get the oil cooler adaptor,  you just need a 1" socket to unscrew the adaptor screw that holds the cooler adaptor to the filter adaptor (after you remove the oil filter)

Impala w adaptor.jpg

Impala 1.jpg

2 adaptors.jpg

L'91 with aug adp.jpg

remote impala.JPG

91 w adaptor.JPG

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

Is there a part number for the "late style" ? Does the angle require a filter with an anti-drainback valve (PF51) or not (PF52)

ps back around the Fiero disaster I cut apart a PF47 and a PF51 and the filter area was the same, just 51 had a longer case.

pps does the "E" suffix mean "England" ? Non-E have 6 periphery holes, E has eight.

Filters first.....I don't think any Reatta requires the anti-drain back valve.   I use the Fram catalog for reference and interchangeability. 

I think only oil filters that screw into the side of the engine (or the few that screw in upside down, like a Ferrari) need the anti-drain back valve....it might restrict the flow some but probably not an issue the way most of us drive.

All Reatta have 18 mm thread and the diameter is pretty much standard on filters...there is the large diameter used on older cars,  newer vehicles use the small diameter filter.

The short Delco/AC filter = PF-47 and that has a drain back valve,  Fram = 3387A,  Purolator # = L10111,  Wix = 51040,  Motorcraft = FL 321,  and the Walmart brand = ST3387A

The long filter is Delco/AC = PF52 with drain back,  Fram 3980,  Purolator  L204011,  Wix  51036,   Motorcraft = FL-402,  Walmart = ST3980

The filter adaptor used on late 1991 newer has number 24500345 cast on the part where it bolts to the engine

For reference,  the short lived early 1991 adaptor has # 25535435 cast in the same area.

late 91 design.jpg

filters.jpg

• Thanks 1

The PF52 will fit all year Reatta.......HOWEVER.....on the 1988-1990,  it will extend about an inch below the oil pan and has the possibility of being damaged.

If you replace your filter adaptor with the part above (24500345) you can use the PF52 (long filter) and it does not extend below the oil pan.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple more comparison views..........wish I had some way of showing where the engine cradle is in comparison.

I did a ballpark feel for the Impala and it looks like it would be above the cradle with about 1 1/2 clearance.l

compare 1.jpg

compare 2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Barney,

I was at one of favorite pick n pulls the other day getting some stuff off a 1989 Riviera.  I decided to take a look at an oil filter adapter from a 1998 LeSabre.  I removed the two lower bolts with a 13mm combination ratchet wrench, could not reach the bolt on top right and the one above the sending unit was unobtanium.  Please, how did you get to these bolts?:wacko:

It depends on the car and what is in the way.............I have used long extensions,  deep sockets,  and in some cases you need a very compact socket arrangement.

I was in the shop so I looked at the options.......one of the problems with getting the oil filter adaptor off is the U joint for the front axel in pretty close,  rotating that helps.

Below is an assortment of wrench options...in the left picture starting at the left is a 3/8 drive that is thinner than most and it is 1 1/2 inches from the front of the socket to the back of the wrench.

(I am pretty sure the bolts are 13 mm)  the red handle ratchet is a 1/4 drive and has about the same 1 1/2 measurement.  The right hand tool is a 1/4 hex drive and has a stop so the socket will not go

thru...it also is about 1 1/2 front to back....it could be modified by cutting off some of the socket shaft.     below the ratchets is a ratcheting box end wrench, the problem here is the bolts are recessed and

that wrench will not fit on the bolt heads.

The second picture compares the small ratchet above with a ratcheting box end and inserting the socket with the 1/4 in shaft.    As you can see,  this method would reduce the overall depth to around 1 in.

You might want to cut the off so it does not stick out.

All this is nice but when you go to the pick n pull you cannot get all the tools in your shop in your tool kit.   You must plan ahead.

small ratchets.jpg

small sockets.jpg

Ronald........pretty sure the part you show in just the adaptor that screws into the hole in the block for the oil filter and contains the bypass valve....  The filter seal surface is machined in the block.

The second picture shows a common adaptor (14) for the engine oil cooler.......what is missing in the picture is the special male/female adaptor nut that hold it to the block.   That special adaptor

is shown in the 2nd and 3rd photo of my original post.