Interested in learning what Gray & Davis models of starters were used in early Peerless

Steve Hammatt

Richard Lichtfeld's book on Peerless says Peerless, G.E., and Gray & Davis worked on an electric starter, which became available on one model in late 1911. Maurice Hendry's chapter on Peerless in the VOL 11, No. 1 A.Q. says something about G.E. and Gray & Davis working with  Peerless to introduce the uniform-voltage separate starter-generator setup on the 1913 Peerless cars.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Jeff

Thanks for your reply.  I just pulled my AQ and took a look, unfortunately not much in the way of details regarding which units were supplied by Gray & Davis to Peerless.  I also pulled two more AQs and still no details.  I wish someone would make a usable indes for the last 10 years (Vol 41:1 thru Vol 51:1) of Automobile Quarterlies.  It appears that my problem is that I have a Gray & Davis Type G Starter and I need a G&D Type K (awaiting verification on the correct Type) for my 1914 Overland 79.  I'm wonder what G&D two piece starter type (model) was used in the Peerless application?

The solution, short of driving over to a collection that has that vintage Peerless{Crawford; Nethercutt; Coquitlam, BC; Tupelo, MS; etc.}, would be to look at owner manuals for sale on ebay showing mechanical illustrations. I don't have any manuals from the 1911-1914 years. A little harder to find -- there was a special booklet that came out about 1912 or 1913 explaining how the new Peerless starter worked.

I found this in the autolit.com store(probably a Saturday Evening Post magazine ad -- buy for $14.99). Walt, the business owner, has a 1920 Peerless Limousine:

mc3365.jpg

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)