1929 Chevy truck brake Light?

John_D_NJ

I am new here and I have acquired my first antique vehicle, all the lights turn on, there is one red light near the left rear side it’s turns on, I checked bulb it’s brand new both filaments are good I depress the brake and it does not get brighter... do 1929 Chevys have brake light ? And second if so how do they work? I’d appreciate the help. Thank you

Edited by John_D_NJ (see edit history)

Short answer, yes it should have a working brake light with a switch that activates it according to some wiring diagrams I found on line. What I don’t know is where the switch is located.  Look around the brake pedal area for it or follow the wiring from the tail light.

Searching around the web it shows your brakes, if original, are mechanically activated as opposed to brake systems using hydraulic fluid and a master brake cylinder.  Many early braking systems using hydraulics had the brake switch mounted on the master cylinder however in your case it has to be mounted somewhere so that when the pedal is pushed mechanical action moves the contact arm to complete the circuit.  I would expect that switch to be mounted near the brake pedal pivot point.

I checked my car and the switch is actually mounted on the vertical part of the frame under the sill, not on the sill. It attaches with two 1/4 inch bolts. Same spot near the left rear corner of the floorboard opening so the operation of the brake cross shaft moves the switch. So much for going by memory!

Dave