Getting a car ready for my son.

nick8086

That really-cool-and-effective wax trick only works when you can access end of the stud. Mag-wheel style lug nuts that cover the threads prevent using that (like an acorn nut). It may also be less effective with really deep lug nuts (although I would just expect it to take more heat, more wax, and a little more heating time). 

But, it's not the end of the world if the studs do break off. It's usually pretty easy to replace them. Back when I was a tire buster at a Goodyear store, I replaced lots of studs, such as whenever I found one with any stripped or damaged threads. Took only a minute or two per stud, and you end up with brand new, unrusted and undamaged threads. Cheap too, since MOST studs cost very little per piece. 

Edited by lump (see edit history)

Jake, You want to turn the nuts while they are still hot.

Heat the nut so it will expand away from the stud.

I suspect that you are going to have all new studs soon however.

I have found that the oxy acetylene gets much hotter than those little tank thingy's that plumbers use for solder.

Another fact is that the vibration of an impact wrench can often safely remove a lug nut that the steady torque of a hand tool cannot. Of course, like any other tool, it works best in the hands of a seasoned technician. 

• Like 2

I just dropped it off at the trade school tonight..

Now I will  find out how much will it cost to make a running car  again..

The nice part about the students that work on it. Labor is free . I just have to pay for the parts..

Jack M - this is the only car that I broke a lug nut off of. I think the year 1989 was a bad year  for good parts..

I may have  him replace all of them..

They will not work on anything 1970 or older.. 

Update. I need new brake shoes, new brake inline U-joints. and new seals..

Cost so far is 165.00,

IMG_1130.JPG

IMG_1128.JPG

IMG_0251.jpeg

IMG_0253.jpeg

IMG_0255.jpeg

IMG_0254.jpeg

IMG_0252.jpeg

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...