55 Buick Automatic Choke

M1842

I would like to re-activate the automatic choke in my Special, someone decided to install a manual choke a number of years ago.  The Buick Shop Manual mentions a heat pipe that connects to the automatic choke housing and the exhaust manifold in order to  funnel warm exhaust gas into the housing.  I can find no trace of a heat pipe and can't find any pictures of one on the carb.  Can anyone show what this heat pipe looks like?  I assume it attaches to the threaded port on the choke.

Thanks!

Mark

3 minutes ago, M1842 said:

I assume it attaches to the threaded port on the choke.

Yes, that is the top attachment.  From there it wraps around the back of the engine to inside of the RH exhaust manifold.  Really hard to fix and attach the 1/4 inch tube without removing the manifold.

You will also need a cap with 'spring' for the choke housing.

• Like 1

Not the best pictures but I hope it helps. This is off my 56' and I'm assuming it should be close on yours. I also had to make a new line, seems like they wear out about 1/4" from the manifold. It goes  back from the carb and wraps around the back of the engine to the manifold.  I also had to take off the manifold and drill the old piece out. . Made a new line from brake line which was a nice snug fit pushing into the manifold approx. 2". It is supposed to have some kind of heat wrap on it also

While I had the manifold off I made sure the heat riser was working.

P.S. be careful with the threads on the carb connection. Seems to be a cast aluminium and strip very easily

Heat pipe 1.JPG

Heat pipe.JPG

Edited by Rztrike
more information (see edit history)
  • Like 1