Advice on repairing paint chips

Pilgrim65

Had Ruby a while now , and paintwork was perfect when she arrived , unfortunately touched gate post early on before I became versatile at reversing out of drive, touched it up with nail polish , not good but red. However sadly  in last week two chips have appeared on passenger side door edge ,

bought matched paint and touched up first chip , not good finish , so as another appeared yesterday, asking for advice ,either for diy or wether paint shops can repair same without spraying complete panel 

cheers

pilgrim 

84B86714-EBBF-4513-87A7-28D4E7718181.jpeg

AE463951-6F38-42D2-B052-84B1E5EEFDDD.jpeg

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

A good body shop should have no problem repairing superficial chipping but matching the color oh touch up jobs can be an issue, especially if it's wasn't a standard factory mix or an older job. It might be cheaper if you had the whole panel painted, probably look better and in the long run probably less aggravation!

Touching up that scrape with any color red will not do much for the overall appearance of the car except at about 40" away.

It seems to me that it needs body work in addition to paint work.

A body shop is the best thing if the color match is bothering you.

• Like 1

Pick up a pint of paint. Your car looks very close to our old Cardinal Red '62. I showed my Son, who is 36 now, how to shake the can of paint and use an artist's brush to get the thick paint off the lid. Just roll it off the tip of the brush and build it up as needed. I have done that on a lot of cars when they get chipped or bumped. Works fine. If you don't like the results take it to a shop. You still have a can of touch up paint.

See how the car of paint is up front and he is working from the lid.

1941.thumb.jpg.223441174842953286b5ab8417aeed4c.jpg

• Like 1

Reminds me of the time a newbie mechanic was told to replace the customs sticker on the side of a King Air. He used a razor blade which of course gouged the paint. Touch up was tried which looked like crap. Then they tried sanding the area and a quick touch up spray. Paint wouldn't match. Owner was pissed no end. They ended up having to repaint the entire fuselage complete with stripes and trim. I think the bill was north of $25,000. Don't know whose or if any insurance covered it.

Kind of makes Ruby's eczema seem like small potatoes but still a cautionary tale................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

That gate post sounds like the tree I, generously, left standing when I built my garage. Until a navigation error caused me to buy an NOS side molding for the door on my '60.

004.thumb.JPG.d4aae5a6b869e81eb45ac9bf23ffd543.JPG014.thumb.JPG.14f8282b60f73a91be165ab4a6584da2.JPG

Problem solved!...................Bob

• Haha 1

Bernie shows it. 

You need to build the paint up to the level of the existing paint, and using the thicker paint on the lid of the can is good. Just keep applying paint very carefully just to the "hole" until paint is higher than the surrounding paint by a "smidgen - couple thousandths". This process can take many days. Then level the new paint to the old paint. Easier said than done. I use a new razor blade (not double sided!) for flat surfaces. Round, concave, convex? Make a hard sanding block about an inch in dimension, or rubber hose, etc. If you sand through, start painting again. after sanding (1000 or 1500 final sanding) compound the area to finish the blend.

I once fixed a new Dodge Ram drivers door with  small chip. Took four days, but you could not find the repair. The door hit a bolt on a two post lift that caused the chip. Lucky, no dent. Cheap repair based on time actually spent on job. Mechanic was happy with such a small repair bill.?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, John348 said:

Maybe you should contact your insurance carrier and see what they advise, good chance that they will pay for the repair. In order to match they might pay for the entire panel

Can only insure classic cars 3rd party here in Cyprus , its a worry , cheers

On 8/13/2018 at 2:59 PM, jpage said:

A good body shop should have no problem repairing superficial chipping but matching the color oh touch up jobs can be an issue, especially if it's wasn't a standard factory mix or an older job. It might be cheaper if you had the whole panel painted, probably look better and in the long run probably less aggravation!

Car has really good gloss finish , not convinced paint shops here as good as the one that did resto spray job in Chicago and may look different, then big problem 

Filling, leveling, and polishing, paint chips is easy. Matching the color is an art, unless that color mix is already in an auto paint company's color library. 

If you can get the car there, some autobody supply houses have the special camera and software to photo and match up to an existing color in their computer system.  Even if not a perfect match, it's a good starting point to do some further mixing of that scan result to match, ..... that is, if your paint supplier is willing to do that and has someone with a good eye for mixing/matching a color.  A few phone calls may find a shop with such a camera system.  

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, PFitz said:

Filling, leveling, and polishing, paint chips is easy. Matching the color is an art, unless that color mix is already in an auto paint company's color library. 

If you can get the car there, some autobody supply houses have the special camera and software to photo and match up to an existing color in their computer system.  Even if not a perfect match, it's a good starting point to do some further mixing of that scan result to match, ..... that is, if your paint supplier is willing to do that and has someone with a good eye for mixing/matching a color.  A few phone calls may find a shop with such a camera system.  

Paul

49 minutes ago, PFitz said:

Paul

Actually had paint colour matched as described above ,9 months ago , gave me a 1/2 pint pot ,but although sealed has gone to jelly , will buy again