Old oil products

Chris Coon

New oil has changed a lot because the auto industry has moved ahead with different processes, clearances, and engine speeds. Plus there are EPA regs. that weren't in place then. that oil was sold in the '70s for antique cars. The cars those oils were for have not changed so the oil would still be adequate for the older applications, maybe even better suited than some modern concoctions!

Morris had  a 1912 T,  a model A, a 16 Stanley, an early Hudson, a Maxwell, a Pierce Arrow, and the last one he bought was a 16 Franklin.  

I suppose that oil may have come with the Franklin, but I don’t think so, I was with him when he got it and I don’t recall that. Also it was way back on his shelves and he got the Franklin in this century. 

Zip codes started in 1963, so oil not older than 55 years.

The stuff should just be used up. If you don't wish to use it in your cars? Give it to a hobbyist that would use it. The oil may be questionable for engine use (?)  (I would consider using it?), but it would be fine for almost anybody for most things requiring a squirt from an oil can.

The carbide? A lot of early model T owners are going back to using that stuff.  It has become quite popular for gaslight drives at several major meets around the country. There are some shipping restrictions, so check with your local representative before dropping it in the mail.

A simple consideration concerning environmentalism. Once a product has been manufactured, whether refined, processed, chemically altered, etc? Once it exists. It exists. And at some point in the future, it WILL reenter the environment. This whether it is recycled or used. Except for seriously toxic chemicals, it is usually better to use them for their intended purpose. Think about this. If it is used properly, it performs a task that yields some benefits. If it is recycled? It will to some extent still reenter the environment, but yield no benefits. Then, another chemical will be manufactured to replace it and do the task this product was made for. That product will also impact the environment through its manufacturing process. It will also have to reenter the environment at some future time. How can NOT using these things actually do more for the environment than manufacturing even more stuff, including the packaging one will buy it in?

This is especially true for things like oils and paints.

Just a thought.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ill bring it to Hershey, if someone would like it.   I hang out with a friend in the Orange field  OBJ&OBK -50ish , we are on the end of the row.    There is always some Stanley stuff around us.  

Not looking to make any $, just dont want to bring it back home.

Calcium Carbide is available on Amazon, so a market DOES exist for it!?