Dad and some of his cars

victorialynn2

Today is my father’s 83rd Birthday. I figured I should finally at least try and go through some of his pics I’ve dragged across country and post a few in his honor. 

I will add some additional ones later if you’d like, but it’s still quite hard for me to go through these. 

0D75CB1C-EFA8-4196-8F71-A444592A035E.jpeg

39D3759A-D1F5-40D8-BCA4-F862D396AF56.jpeg

B9F18828-F480-47FA-94B1-717E7C96D141.jpeg

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

And a couple with him and I when I was very young, and one with Rex, in Germany where I was born in April of 1965. Christmas was always a big deal to him. My father was stationed in Germany while in the Air Force. 

The pick up and camper we drove from Oregon to NH where he was stationed state-side. Me, my mother, a sister and three brothers (my mother had them before she married my father). I must have been about 4 and I remember some of it. 

A77E18A2-4EE3-4320-B240-87DC94A1D2FC.jpeg

B9B41DCF-7305-4822-8A6B-003967997599.jpeg

08039D3D-ABD8-43AA-AB4C-5D872087A12D.jpeg

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Today is my father’s 83rd Birthday. I figured I should finally at least try and go through some of his pics I’ve dragged across country and post a few in his honor. 

I will add some additional ones later if you’d like, but it’s still quite hard for me to go through these. 

0D75CB1C-EFA8-4196-8F71-A444592A035E.jpeg

39D3759A-D1F5-40D8-BCA4-F862D396AF56.jpeg

B9F18828-F480-47FA-94B1-717E7C96D141.jpeg

Does anyone know what car this is? This was taken in Germany I believe. 

54 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

Does anyone know what car this is? This was taken in Germany I believe. 

Specially a German Ford Taunus 17M P2, produced 1957-60.  They were sold in Canada at selected Ford dealerships.  I remember one which had a Saxomat centrifugal clutch in it - 3 speed standard transmission with no clutch pedal.  Just touching the gear shift knob would disengage the clutch.    

• Like 1

V.L., great pics and great memories. A belated happy birthday to your Dad !

Look at the pic of the '51 Ford with the dual exhaust.

I'm old enough to remember these cars as new cars, have ALWAYS had disagreements with guys, when I told them the dual exhaust added to the '49 to '54 Fords, back then, looked "pigeon toed", meaning the tail pipes did not come out straight in the back.

Don't know why  they were "pigeon toed"....... but your Dad's '51 adds credibility to my observations from those days gone by.

• Like 2

Victorialynn i wonder if your great photos make anyone else realize that like me they have almost no pictures of cars they grew up with.   I have a few pics of me as a child with my family and my Dad's cars but almost nothing of the ones that I have owned. Odd considering how much i enjoy cars and made them an important part of my life. Not trying to hijack the thread but just like a light bulb came on.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This one looks like a 40 Ford Deluxe.  With an Added on Hood ornament.  It looks familiar but I can't place it.  I want to say Caddy or Nash.  

I'm getting familiar with mine after laying underneath it for the last few days doing the brakes. 

Great photos by the way.  I have a few of my Dad,  but even he doesn't have some from his earliest cars. 

5E908FCA-897B-4F16-B7F9-F88834BF1D9D.thumb.jpeg.ec3be7f2ca13b0ef7064123dae3a6f24.jpeg

• Like 1

I told you guys he threw away nothing, and that is the truth. I have so many more pictures that they take up a lot of my spare room. These are some of the earliest ones I found in his garage. He took a lot over the years. It took an emotional toll to go through even that many. I cried all weekend. ? I am so upset by the way he has to live. I won’t go into detail, but it’s impossibly hard to watch someone decline this way. (It’s much easier for me to throw myself into work and avoid the rest of the world.)

My kids brought him pie and and ice cream and some gifts. I am heading up there (4.5 hours), this week to take him to a doctors appointment, so I will see him also. 

71A848C5-DA23-4757-9513-2DBAE7AE42FA.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

I am so upset by the way he has to live. I won’t go into detail, but it’s impossibly hard to watch someone decline this way. (It’s much easier for me to throw myself into work and avoid the rest of the world.)

It is far more difficult for the ones surrounding the individual than it is for the one who has Alzheimers disease, where its more psychological as they treat you like a stranger, even though you've known them forever.  One can more or less rest assured the person who has it is not in any pain, nor he or she actually does not feel they are suffering at all.   I have had older relatives die a painful and agonizing death from long-term cancer, and for me, that is far more difficult to watch than someone who has Alzheimers.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:25 PM, plymouthcranbrook said:

Victorialynn i wonder if your great photos make anyone else realize that like me they have almost no pictures of cars they grew up with.   I have a few pics of me as a child with my family and my Dad's cars but almost nothing of the ones that I have owned. Odd considering how much i enjoy cars and made them an important part of my life. Not trying to hijack the thread but just like a light bulb came on.

Yes sir, you bring out a very good point. 

The cars that I owned and the cars my Father owned were always a big part of my life. but I certainly don't have the pics to display my love for those cars.

Sad, I believe.

• Like 2