Antique speedometer cable ID needed

sandtrooper

This item appears to be an automotive speedometer cable from the early days. Cast iron end fixture has impressed letters '273' and maybe a '6' after that in an oval? It also has an impressed '8 R.' Mount holes are 1/4 inch diameter and about 2-1/8 inch apart center to center. At the other end is a steel machined fixture that is about 5/8 inch OD and 5/16 inch ID. The inner cable is easily removed and replaced. That inner cable has two end fixtures as well and one marked 'TRANS.' Overall the part is 55-1/2 inches long, weighing about 2 lbs 2 ozs.

Keeping in mind that this might not be an automotive speedometer cable, or a motorcycle speedo cable...

Can anyone ID this? Looking to sell, of course.

Thanks in advance for any skinny provided. 

rg899_a.jpg

rg899aa.jpg

rg899b.jpg

rg899bb.jpg

rg899bbb.jpg

rg899ddd.jpg

rg899e.jpg

Have heard from a speedometer expert that the cable might be for a 1915-16 Cadillac but without guarantee. Am going to promote in a sale - unless it gets shot down. Then further investigation finds that Cadillac might have offered a right hand or left hand drive.

Thanks again to all who took a moment to have a look-see here.

Sent the photos to a friend that has a number of 1915 and up Cadillac V8s.

His reply:

"I checked it against my reference books and my cars. It isn't Cadillac. I am not sure which car it might be for.

You already know how the 1913 Cadillac speedometer and cable look and are set up. The 1915 through 1919 Cadillacs have a speedometer cable that was driven by the right front wheel spindle. The spindle is special in that there is a gear shaft that goes through the spindle and then meshes with a gear on the end of the speedometer cable itself. The outer housing screws into a threaded hole in the kingpin housing.

Cadillac switched to driving the speedometer from the end of the transmission in 1920. The whole set-up is a much shorter cable and housing than before.

The speedometer cable and housing pictured is for a car that does drive the cable and speedometer from the end of the transmission. It isn't early Cadillac, but hopefully, someone will be able to identify it. I am certain that someone does need it."

Regards,

Charley