An old one, but just what is it? Mystery chassis from the '20s.

Ray Bell

I came across this the other day...

[img]https://s26.postimg.cc/j0h1kpasp/0818mngndmysterychassis_LF.jpg[/img]

Some features which stand out are the inlet tract through the centre of the block, the king-pin style, the shape of the final drive...

[img]https://s26.postimg.cc/qt7pcow7d/0818mngndmysterychassisrearaxleand_RHR.jpg[/img]

...the use of a Warner Gear transmission...

[img]https://s26.postimg.cc/kfim9eoqh/0818mngndmysterychassisgearbox.jpg[/img]

...the skinny driveshaft and the style of universal joint, along with the wide bellhousing rigidly mounted to the chassis:

[img]https://s26.postimg.cc/44iid473t/0818mngndmysterychassis_LR.jpg[/img]

And here's the right side:

[img]https://s26.postimg.cc/r5z3ivm6x/0818mngndmysterychassis_RF.jpg[/img]

Obviously it's been lying around for a long time, I am hoping someone can identify it for me.

Big six was the first thing I thought of, but as Spinneyhill noted, the cylinder spacing looks wrong. The big six cylinders do not look evenly spaced to me, they look more like pairs. In any event they look different than the cylinders on the unidentified car.

800px-Studebaker_National_Museum_May_201

stude4362J.jpg

All - This six-cylinder engine appears to mount a side-draft carburetor and it has its manifold cast in-bloc. Side-draft carb cars with cast-en-block manifolds are somewhat rare so that would limit the field I think, quite a bit. Kissel kar sixes used this identical setup in 1915-1925 or so, but this is NOT a Kissel engine nor frame. Kissel 6 engines had water jackets complete at the cylinders as pictured below. Suggest somebody use the side-draft carb listing as a key.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

1913 Kissel Sedan Engine 7-11-13 (3).jpg

2 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

Also, there is a cutout in the side of the crankcase LHS below the gap in cylinders.

I think it is a main bearing support. That, along with the cylinder spacing suggests to me there are only 3 main bearings.

It appears to me, after viewing both sides of the block, that the inlet tract comes through the centre of the block and then into a bolt-on manifold. Which may be one piece with the exhaust manifold.

Yes, it is in Australia. North-Western NSW.

As I mentioned, this does not have internal intake manifolding, the passage through the block simply takes the intake charge to a regular manifold for distribution. There are five ports each end of the engine and also the tract through the centre.

0818mngndmysterychassisengine.jpg

I'm sure this is an early 20's Paige (6-42) or possibly Jewett. Things like the Warner gearbox, Mechanics uni-joints, Hartford shock absorbers all match. Some of them also use either a side-mount Stromberg or Rayfield carburettor with the vertical bolt mounts like this. They also had an option of Disteel disk wheels; possibly that's what the wheel is on this chassis? I can't find any better photos in my books, or online to support my theory, but I do know Paiges and Jewetts were sold here at the time, although, they aren't common.

Photos came from:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1923_Jewett_Six_touring_(5755323457).jpg

https://www.agefotostock.com/age/en/Stock-Images/jewett.html

800px-1923_Jewett_Six_touring_(5755323457).jpg

mev-11805941.jpg

Ahh... this is really getting somewhere...

All the detail in the above photo is confirming that it's a Paige. The mount for the horn, for instance, the inspection hole on the RHS of the bellhousing, shape of the chassis around the rear, and the crossmember and the various attachments to it.

There are no wheels, by the way. Or is there one on the LHR? I have no more detailed photos showing more of that, but I'll be back out that way this week. Do you think anyone would want the engine?

it's probably closer to a Jewett, the problem is those rear dumb-irons are different to most of the Paiges I've looked at; one did, however, have see a chassis with the shorter ones like this. I can't find any clear photos of a Paige chassis to see for sure. Possibly the engines are the same between the two, whether someone wants it, I couldn't tell you.

I thought I could see a wheel at the LHR, although I could be wrong. And it's also odd to have a friction shock absorber mounted behind the axle, I'm not sure how it would connect to the axle itself.

I've since found this car:

https://gosfordclassiccarmuseum.com.au/surplus-car/1923-jewett-phaeton-tourer/

Edited by Craig Gillingham (see edit history)

I think I see a slight variation in the actual shape of the rear dumb-irons in the photo of the rear wheel on the linked page. Otherwise it's looking pretty good.

I'll get more photos on Wednesday. And now I've seen this stuff I'll look for more clues.

Thanks to all, we'll see how this pans out in a few days.

Well, PAIGE cast in the RHS of the engine block is a giveaway!

What you're looking at is actually the tappet cover. The inlet & exhaust valve train is on the RHS of this side valve engine. I'm guessing the tappet cover is probably pressed steel and in those days they made changes to minor parts like that just about every 6 months, so whether it's stamped Paige or not, I wouldn't count on it.

I'm secretly hoping it's a smaller Paige, as it would be a bit of a discovery, although it's probably more likely to be a Jewett, as they sold more of them and they were cheaper.

There were changes to the sideplates, it's true...

Even the shape and manner of fixing changed. This one is from a 1922 Paige (I think) and has the sideplates tapering at the ends, and only fixed with one central bolt. And they're cast alloy, by the look of things.

0818paigesideplate.jpg

Edited by Ray Bell
Wrote wrong make! (see edit history)

Here's the other pic I took last week...

Directly front on, it shows that there's been a bit of a 'woof' in the left side of the chassis. Probably when a bulldozer or something has pushed it aside during some roadworks. Yeah, this thing is all sitting on the side of a bush road.

0818mngndmysterychassisfront.jpg

17 minutes ago, Ray Bell said:

I'll see what I can find...

Can someone contact them and get them to e.mail me?

raybell -at- dalveen.net

Just had a look on that website and there does not seem to be a contact email.  Maybe you could find someone in your local vintage car club who knows of a Jewett owner and go from there.

Maybe you could scout through this list and find someone near you?   http://www.jewettsix.org/registered-cars-and-owners/

I know of one car here in Christchurch that has been with the same family for over 50 years.

My book of serial numbers says the car number would be found under the front seat - but that will be long gone. Some early chassis also had the number stamped on the left rear corner of the frame where it was usually hidden by the body.

The engine number will be on the left side of the crankcase.

A 1922 Paige that I worked on years ago had the starter on the opposite side as the photo of the Jewett. So the starter was on the right on that car. On the left for the Jewett.

Possibly that's to accommodate the steering box for right-hand drive. In the first photo of a Jewett engine I posted, the starter is on the right for a LHD car.

That Jewett Six website is very interesting.

I would like to be interested in that mess? But I cannot afford it (can't even afford the shipping) and I have reached the stage where I have enough projects to keep me busy for the rest of my life. Including the 1927 Paige sedan my dad bought in '67.  Paige and Jewett have a excellent history, and deserve more recognition than they get. They were an assembled car, but better engineered than most. Harry Jewett was an engineer himself and insisted on high quality designs and components. Engines were usually Paige/Jewett exclusives, manufactured by different engine manufacturers to Paige's specifications. Locations of externals (manifolds, starter, generator, distributor, etc) varied from model to model.

As for the Jewett six website. My understanding is that the fellow that maintained it for several years passed away a couple years ago. I don't know who is working on it now, but he seems to be trying to do a nice job. However, progress has been slow.  I tried to contact him myself a year or two ago, but was unsuccessful and haven't tried to contact him since.