63 riv power steering question

39mm

I rebuilt the steering gear box. Bench tested it. Turned smoothly from one end to the other. No binding. No ball bearings seem to be out of place. Installed on car. Raised front tires off ground. Engine off. Cap off of steering pump. Turned steering wheel one side to the other all the way about 50 times. Air bubbles came up. Air bubbles eventually stopped. Still no power steering. Any advice?

Thanks,

Tim

2 hours ago, steelman said:

Engine needs to be running when you cycle the system back and forth. Pump needs to run to evacuate all the air out of the system.

OK, I'll try that. I thought the engine had to be off.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, steelman said:

Engine needs to be running when you cycle the system back and forth. Pump needs to run to evacuate all the air out of the system.

Tried it with engine running. Still no power steering.

1 hour ago, NC68Riviera said:

I have to ask the obvious, did you reroute the power steering pump belt over the crank and pump pulllies and apply tention to the belt? 

No, I haven't installed the pump on the car yet. Do you think that could be the problem?

Seriously, I suppose the pump could be bad but it was working before the gear box rebuild. When I filled it with fluid and ran the engine it got low on fluid (from pumping it to the gear box) for about 20 seconds and got noisy before I  added fluid to the res. again but I don't think that 20 seconds is long enough to ruin the pump. Could be wrong, though.

• Haha 1

On 8/8/2018 at 9:35 PM, 39mm said:

I rebuilt the steering gear box.

Aren't there specific preloads to set on the worm gear thrust that act as a pilot signal to bring in the assist? I have seen assist come in too early and too strong making a car twitchy to steer. Maybe you did the opposite.

Bernie

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Aren't there specific preloads to set on the worm gear thrust that act as a pilot signal to bring in the assist? I have seen assist come in too early and too strong making a car twitchy to steer. Maybe you did the opposite.

Bernie

Yes. I marked the gear box housing and the adjuster plug and the locking ring before disassembly and put them back together accordingly but I probably got that wrong. Thanks, that's probably the problem.

1 hour ago, KongaMan said:

You'll need an inch-pound torque wrench to properly set the lash and pre-load.  This is where Harbor Freight may come in handy. ;)  For the low measurements we're talking about here, you might end up looking for an old beam-style wrench.

Thanks.