REO

Buick35

Oldsmobile was purchased by William Durant and became part of General Motors.  Olds the person wanted to continue in the automobile business so he had to come up with a new name for the company.  He used his initials to make up the name for his new endeavor.

Same is true for spark plugs, Champion company came first and then AC the initials of Albert Champion the founder of Champion for his second company.

There was also the E-M-F auto manufacturer from 1909 to 1912 that became part of Studebaker.  With slang names like "Every Morning Fix-it", "Every Mechanical Fault", and "Every Miss Fire." Actual name was Everett Metzger and Flanders.

There was also Billy Durant the founder of GM. After the second time he was ousted he started the Durant Motor Co.

In the early years of the auto industry there was a fair bit of movement in jobs and ownerships with the movers and shakers I believe.

6 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

There was also the E-M-F auto manufacturer from 1909 to 1912 that became part of Studebaker.  With slang names like "Every Morning Fix-it", "Every Mechanical Fault", and "Every Miss Fire." Actual name was Everett Metzger and Flanders.

Barney Everitt (with an i not an e), William Metzger and Walter Flanders. After Studebaker took over EMF, and after WW1, those three were responsible for the Rickenbacker car. There were also Everitt (1910-12) and Flanders (1912-13) cars.

And the SCAT project that I was chasing was Società Ceirano Automobili Torino. Unfortunately I had a lot of competition from Italy and the eventual buyer, who was from Germany. Another one that left Australia to return to Europe.

There was a German bubble car called a Goggomobile. The builder, Hans Glas, attempted to be the General Motors of German mini cars. This particular model was named after his nephew whose nickname was Goggo, possibly the silliest reason for a car name ever. We still don't know if he liked the kid or had a grudge against him.

image.png.10c161b468fc722c29dc45032265cd25.png

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)