Braking Distance

MochetVelo

A member of our Citroen 5HP Forum asked the question "Assume my 1923 Citroen 5HP was cruising at 60 kph and a cow was crossing the road. In what distance would the car stop using the transmission brake?"

The best answer posted: "Depends on the weight of the cow."

Phil

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

The other end of the continuum is what always interested me more.  Same year, the  A model Duesenberg would stop from 30mph in 30 feet,  and from 50mph in 86 feet.   Those figures might have been even better with better tyre compound , and with Houdaille dampers instead of Watson Stabilators.    Stuart Middlehurst visited UK and Europe for about a year, and asked me to look after his Burlington bodied 6.5  litre OHC Hispano Suiza in my garage, and use it as if it were my own.  I just did not like it, and I considered that the brakes, handling and performance  were less attractive than the 1918 Mercer Sporting.

Due to an illegal nocturnal bovine trespass on a Costa Rican road, I took out a pregnant beast, which ended up in the ditch. This was almost 30 years ago. Totalled the rental car. Said vehicle continued down the road, skating at various times, on each of its four cardinal surfaces. Came to a stop facing the direction from whence we came, upright. We three aboard escaped with scrapes from broken glass. The  tow truck driver was very grateful to me for donating the stillborn veal to him and his wife. If he hadn't taken it, I would have deposited it in the hotel kitchen, and extended my lodging until everything from "Sesos a la Romanoff", to "Sopa de cola de bueycito" had been consumed. I expect the trauma soured mama cow's milk.   -   CC