HERSHEY FALL MEET!!!!!

I leave it by the south gate for the chocolate field and pick it up or go to the Buick Club tent and beg Wray and Ron to stick it with their stuff.

A few years ago I bought a full '53 Jaguar exhaust system from Larry Springer and picked it up at the gate, good guy to buy vintage Jaguar stuff from.

Bernie

1937, if you buy something you simply put it in your Hershey cart. Everyone MUST have a Hershey cart, they range from little red wagons, hand trucks, "bag lady carts" (my choice), to the guy that has been at Hershey as long as I can remember with the cart that has all sorts of items attached. I use the bag lady cart because it holds our jackets, rain gear, umbrellas etc and folds up for transport. It's a lot easier than carrying it all and when I purchase something it goes into the cart.

8 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

1937, if you buy something you simply put it in your Hershey cart. Everyone MUST have a Hershey cart, they range from little red wagons, hand trucks, "bag lady carts" (my choice), to the guy that has been at Hershey as long as I can remember with the cart that has all sorts of items attached. I use the bag lady cart because it holds our jackets, rain gear, umbrellas etc and folds up for transport. It's a lot easier than carrying it all and when I purchase something it goes into the cart.

A few years ago friends of mine started bringing their 4 wheeled cart to Hershey. The rear wheels have VW hubcaps on them. They also have a small fiberglass pole mounted to the push handle of the cart that that is about 5 feet tall above the handle with a colorful flag on it. That flag makes them easy to spot down a long isle full of people when we get separated. Funny how when we get back to their RV each night the cart is full. Then we start out again the next morning with it empty only to find it full again at night. Strange how that happens. ?

I used to use a standard two wheel hand truck, that still goes to Hershey, but the three wheeler has been my cart of choice for about 8 years now.  This was a mother/ child jogging cart, folds up nicely, has a parking brake and the option of having a fixed or swivel front wheel. I carry a few extra bungee cords if I find a door or hood. That Hemmings bag is good for literature. Bob 

DSCF0015.JPG

DSCF0014.JPG

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hershey has been on my "bucket list" for years. Finally after years of family functions and a crazy work schedule,  the wife and I decided over the weekend that this would be the year ! I mailed out the registration on Monday and I'm going to bring my 1969 Impala and have it judged in the HPOF class.  Very excited and looking forward to going.

Steve

1352842038[1].jpg

• Like 2

On 8/14/2018 at 10:04 AM, 46 woodie said:

I use the bag lady cart

With the technology we have today I can find a bag lady in Harrisburg, leave her at the gate, and give her a cheap Tracfone to take calls and pick up what I buy.

Hi, All!  I have probably been to the Fall Hershey Swap Meet about a dozen time over the years, but I have NEVER been to the Saturday Show!  I just came back from the Post Office to ensure my $35 entry fee is post marked for TODAY!  I'll be showing my red and white 1963 Chevrolet GreenBrier Camper in the Driver's Participation Class and I will not be having it judged.  I have driven it half way across the US and up and down the east coast over the years.  Please stop by and introduce yourselves if I'm there.  If I'm not there I may be looking at YOUR ride!  Drive safe!  Greg

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

With the technology we have today I can find a bag lady in Harrisburg, leave her at the gate, and give her a cheap Tracfone to take calls and pick up what I buy.

Speaking of technology....The friends I go to Hershey with and myself take photos of flea market items that we are looking for and a photo of the space number and text then to each other. If it is an item that does not require a personal look then  we text an offer and max price for the item to discuss with the seller. We have bought some parts for each other that way over the last few years. If the item requires a closer look then the potential buyer has a photo of the item and the space number where it is at. This makes going back to look at the item MUCH EASIER to find and not forget about especially if you have to go back the next day.

I also use this photo & texting system when I find parts that interest friends not able to go to Hershey. Last year at the Library Sale I purchased a few books and brochures using this method. Made my friends very happy. 

Charlie

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

That should cut down on haggling time. 

Bob

Don't know if this really cuts down on haggling time or not.

I can say for a Fact that it does generate SALES on items that might otherwise be missed by interested buyers.

I do find it interesting to see the reaction of sellers when I take a photo, send a text and wait on a reply.

While I wait I usually tell the seller that I have a friend that might be interested in an item and I am waiting to hear back from them.

Some sellers (depending on their age) appear curious while others appear annoyed or not interested. That all changes when they make a sale. 

Charlie

I always enjoy the Hershey forum posts!  Helps build excitement.   My first trip to the Hershey event was 1970.  Brass era cars were inside the stadium, everything else was out back.  We pitched a small tent right up along side the old stadium.  The flea market was only a hint of what it is today!   I've only missed a couple of them when I was in the Navy and one year when my Dad passed away.  Have had spaces in all the fields except that old muddy place called "Yellow field."  Heck, I even found great stuff there too!   White field and Blue field spots were always my favorites but can't beat my current spot across from the Giant Center and the CRAB CAKE Vendor.  Last few years one of the insurance vendors has been stuck in at the end of my row so I'm no longer right at the end, but it's a great place for folks to gather and stash the stuff they don't want to lug around. 

Last year was hobbled a bit nursing my broken leg so spent a lot of time sitting there with a much lighter load of brassy stuff and enjoyed the chance to visit.  This year I'll be back in action wandering as much as possible trying to find treasure.  My wife loves hunting for stuff too so we may close one day and go hunting together.  We split minding the store as best we can but if you stop by and were not there just be patient and realize we're out there trying to find the goodies you missed.

If you have any old odd spark plugs please stop by.  Sue is looking for MG stuff-models, automobilia of all kinds, even parts for the TC.   Saturday of course our focus is going to be the cars on show.   I always begin with the brass era and then the sports cars.  By that time, I'm busy judging, and before you know it, it's the end of another fabulous year at Hershey, and I begin marking days off the calendar until the next one.

This year will indeed be special - broken leg is history and with my new metal pieces I should be able to cover some ground.  Also, I'll be retired!   September 28th is my last day officially, so won't need to work my butt off getting ready to go and won't have to worry about what's going on while I'm away.  Might even get to stay over a day or so to go antique hunting in the area.  Next year might bring the Model T up and stay for the Hershey Hangover Tour.

See you there~

Terry

Hershey_2017_01.jpg

• Like 1

I love the cell phones.  That's a cell phone in my hand and I'm excited because Sue is over in the Chocolate field and has just found a piece of Doulton Motorist Seriesware at a great price.  She texted me a photo and I answered back "buy it!"  She did the haggling and I added a nice item to my collection.   I Remember when people carried two way radios at Hershey.  Now with cell phones I can have extra eyes-and ears in the market.  I can do the same for her while I'm wandering.  Another couple of tricks- research is only a touch away.  I've got a load of photos on my phone I can refer to so I don't buy something I don't need, or can double check on something I do need.  Last year it was really great since I was fairly immobile with my leg in a big plastic boot.   I've found the to be great swap meet tools.

Terry

• Like 1

Terry, remember the cardboard street signs at the ends of the rows. On Saturday we would pick up a few and I have them stapled to my garage wall with the date on them. I tell some people that we liked to watch the bi-planes landing and taking off from the airport across the street and they look at me like I'm crazy.