HERSHEY FALL MEET!!!!!

WOW, I can't believe that it's only about 9 weeks away. Where the hack is the time going? I guess the saying that "life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end the faster it goes", is true! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I just realized because September has five weekends this year the calendar has pushed  the Hershey event past the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend, (second Monday in October) this is a bummer for me as I have commitments for that week that I may not be able to get out of. :( 

I'm still holding my hotel Hershey reservations until the last minute unless life changes.

Bob 

13 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Bob, unless you are planning your demise there is no reason in the world not to be at Hershey!! :D  Hope you do not have to miss.

Miss Hershey?????????????? This will be 49 in a row for me, but I will admit we left last year on Friday, first time I didn't see the show cars, and I'm sure there were a few pre WWII ones on the field some were. Bob 

1937, I have you beat by one year, this year will be the big 50. My first year was 1968 and I can't believe how fast time has gone by. My wife's due date for our first son was during Hershey Week and I still went, she eventually got over it!  I'm going to decorate my Hershey cart with some sort of 50th anniversary stuff, if you see me stop and say hello.

57 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

1937, I have you beat by one year, this year will be the big 50. My first year was 1968 and I can't believe how fast time has gone by. My wife's due date for our first son was during Hershey Week and I still went, she eventually got over it!  I'm going to decorate my Hershey cart with some sort of 50th anniversary stuff, if you see me stop and say hello.

Hopefully your son (and maybe your grandson?) also picked up the hobby.

Craig

FEW Pre WWII cars?  Seriously???? We had almost 400 pre WWII cars registered last year.  Hardly a few!!!  I know this as I just went to the trouble of counting them and ran out of fingers and toes quickly.

Mercer, DuPont, Railton, Duesenberg and all sorts of great early cars.  We all like what we like but hopefully can appreciate others love for more modern cars. 

• Haha 1

8E45E, believe it or not my son took his first steps at Hershey. During the "mud years", we pulled him around in a wagon and he had a ball, he was covered in mud from head to toe.

• Like 1

Our son, now 22, was in his early years when we still had a space on the old White Field....rain of course, maybe he was 5 or 6, and his most fun was stomping in the water puddles!  Your perspective changes, I've been towed out of the Blue Field with a tractor (but what great spots, everyone coming from the Hershey town direction went by your spot, thousands!), made a run for it out of the White Field, and slogged through hay in the old endless Green Field (the one where the porta-johns were great at the far end, very few people ever got there!)...

So, all nice asphalt now, but a lot of character and memories gone.  Improvement and ease of movement doesn't always add memories as it should...

• Ah, the Good Old Days of Hershey remember the blue white red and green fields and the mud, it really was  special. Guys would stay open late under the light of Coleman lanterns. Today the lights NEVER GO OFF on the black toped "fields" but almost everyone is off to a motel or inside their camper by 5:00. I swear I'll NEVER get that old. Bob 

2 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

Trim, ah, the good old days! Believe it or not I miss those days. Walking for miles on blacktop kills my feet.

I agree, I miss those days too.  The mud and hay and grass, while at the time seemingly a pain in the aspirations, was actually much easier to walk than the asphalt.  As far as comfort to your feet and knees, that is.  Oh, and I guess age has something to do with it.

However, I can walk around a field of grass sort of OK, but put me on the concrete floor in a Walmart and I give way quickly.  Age will get you.  Both my knees will be replaced, one in January of next year, so know age is creeping up....

On 8/8/2018 at 9:55 PM, trimacar said:

I agree, I miss those days too.  The mud and hay and grass, while at the time seemingly a pain in the aspirations, was actually much easier to walk than the asphalt.  As far as comfort to your feet and knees, that is.  Oh, and I guess age has something to do with it.

However, I can walk around a field of grass sort of OK, but put me on the concrete floor in a Walmart and I give way quickly.  Age will get you.  Both my knees will be replaced, one in January of next year, so know age is creeping up....

In honor of the good old Hershey years, my 54th,  genuine vintage Hershey mud!

MVC-084S.JPG

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

On 8/8/2018 at 8:41 AM, 3makes said:

To 1937hd45, Bob, you are correct, FEW is the operative word. The car show looks more and more like a large USED car lot.

I'll have to respectfully disagree:  There are MANY

pre-World War II cars at Hershey.  And lots before 

World War I as well!

The show absolutely doesn't look like a used car lot.

Mr. 3makes, maybe you accidentally found the

Toyota dealership instead of the AACA Fall Meet!

And no one can be such an old timer that he can't respect the

1970's cars on the show field:  They're at least 40 years old.

People attending Hershey in the 1960's saw many of cars of

the 1920's, and they were 40 years old then.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Please explain what a 1912 and 1972 1982 or 1992 vehicle have in common on a show field or tour? 

Bob

No, you'll have to figure that out by yourself!

Please be aware that one critical comment can turn away

a prospective member, forever, from the AACA.  One of our

AACA past presidents had just such an experience in the

early 1970's with his 1940 Pontiac.  Fortunately, he stayed.

Does a beautiful symphony written in 1980 have

less appeal than one written in 1880 or 1780?

We appreciate the good qualities we see in EVERY decade.

Both Bob and John have valid points, but depending upon who is reading/viewing them the opinion of the person seeing this will agree with one or the other.

My son is 24, he likes the old pre war cars I have but to him a car that was new when I first started to attend Hershey ( 1965) is ancient; and from a certain perspective it is. but to me although the 1960's and later cars can be of interest they were new and what I rode in to go see old cars at Hershey at that time. I think Bob may share a similar view point. When I bought a 1931 Plymouth model PA sedan in 1963 it was a little over 30 years old , but looked old due to the vast styling difference compared to a 1963 car. Some people will say the same if you compare a 30+ year old car to today's vehicles. Everyone defines "old" in their own way or "antique". I think possibly a lot of pre war car owners do not want to park their vehicles next to what they deem/consider "new" cars , those from the 1960s on up . The CHVA ( Contemporary Historical Vehicle Association) was started I believe to recognize newer cars when most other clubs didn't , now that the other clubs that didn't,  do recognize these 'later' cars the CHVA seems to have disappeared. We all like what we like, try to own what we like (!) . Some people get great satisfaction from winning awards with their cars, and only go to shows/displays where they can take home another trophy, others like to drive them - not just on organized tours, but to cruise nights etc. I fall into the latter category, have never had my cars judged as I have no interest in awards; but at cruise nights if someone parks their later car next to my 30 Packard or 40 Buick - good for them, we are both having a good time and usually have a great conversation.

12 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

BINGO. It all comes down to appreciating and respecting  cars of all eras as being part of Automotive HISTORY.

My 1980s VWs range in age from 38 to 31 years old. They are all part of automotive history. Some of them have engineering and features that broke new ground in some respects. Sadly, some people are not up to speed when it comes to automotive history and cannot appreciate what these vehicles contributed to vehicles that followed them. 

56 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Please explain what a 1912 and 1972 1982 or 1992 vehicle have in common on a show field or tour? 

Bob

Simply put, ALL of these vehicles are part of Automotive History.

We should all remember that Automotive History did not stop after 1912, 1972, 1982 or 1992.

It continues on even though some refuse to acknowledge that it does.

1 minute ago, 60FlatTop said:

I think the owners like their cars equally.

Amen.

My old VWs were part of my younger years and were part of many memories and adventures. 

I wonder how many AACA members can say that they still own (and restored) the first car they ever purchased?

I can say that about my 38 year old VW. My 31 year old VW is an AACA HPOF Original and is considered rare in some circles given it's condition and the model vehicle it is.

Some here might say "So what, they are just used cars" and I would LOL and smile. Whenever I have either of these two cars on the AACA show field I hear MANY, MANY people tell me they owned these vehicles back in the day and they tell fond stories about them. At this year's Grand National I ran into two people who worked at the VW plant in Pennsylvania during the time my 1980 VW was built. The smiles on their faces after seeing my VW and the stories they told me were priceless. 

54 minutes ago, charlier said:

My 1980s VWs range in age from 38 to 31 years old....

Whenever I have either of these two cars on the AACA show field I hear MANY, MANY people tell me they owned these vehicles back in the day and they tell fond stories about them.... 

Good point, Charlie, which I've thought of before.

If a collector has a 1929 Hupmobile or 1947 Packard

on the show field, they are interesting cars.  However,

the general public will rarely walk up longingly and 

exclaim, "I used to have one of those!"  

If you take a 1980 Chevrolet Citation, 1977 Chevrolet

Impala, or 1988 Ford Thunderbird to a show, you'll get

just the fond comments that you describe.

What an excellent opportunity to interact with the public!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I bought this car when it was 15 years old and I was 30, still have it.

0033.jpg.1e9a8b2084c5d917322dff2781860f73.jpg

Bought this 15 year old car in March.

20180301_1137161.jpg.3d60d04134d7303e0b669c7a664c685c.jpg

To me, both are quite special. And there is a good chance they will both be part of the estate.

Last week an old High School friend I still see frequently went to a nice cruise in about 50 miles away. He said it was all crap, new stuff and he had a terrible time. I asked if the BMW would fit in. I am going tonight. At least there will be one less sour old fart.

We'll see if the conversation starter works. I ain't waiting 10 years more to play.

001.thumb.JPG.41dfcbbe5b7aa40e6d6ff199d977c2a1.JPG

I guess it comes down to liking the cars I own, reading about their history and sharing time with like minded people. I accept the fact the "Late Models" won and won't quit until every one thinks they are the greatest things on four wheels. You'll never remove my memories of happy times in the hobby. Bob 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Bob

Owners that love their cars. 

I belonged to an informal group before we moved that met every Tuesday around 6pm from Spring till the week before Hershey. No rules on age or type of cars, all years all makes, stock, street rods, dune buggies you name it. Oldest I remember was a1911 not counting a 1899 replica Locomobile steamer, newest probably a late model vet. We would stand around telling lies till 6:30 then go out for a drive that last from 30-60 minutes depending on the length of daylight and who was leading, then stop for ice cream and more chat time. No criticisms of cars other than an occasional comment in jest. They have been going continuously for over 15 years, why, for the love of cars.

Edited by Jim Bollman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Well, to change the direction a bit, last year was my first. And just as I have always heard, that if you ever go once you will forever return, this year will be my second.  And I will be bringing a friend who has never been and inflicting the disease upon him I suppose. Looking forward to it, see ya there!!!

• Like 2

I am planning to be there. I WANTED to go for the first time in 1974. I asked for vacation and got it OK'ed. I was working in a power plant on a single operator shift. One of the guys decided to get married and asked to pre-empt my vacation. I said NO, but the Chief Engineer coerced me out of it. I figured I would go the next year. The little Rat took the week off for his anniversary every single year after that! I think my first year was 1990.

I have seen the changes. Some are pretty good. I would like to see someone get out there and cut a couple of judicious holes in that cheap vinyl fence.

3 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I would like to see someone get out there and cut a couple of judicious holes in that cheap vinyl fence.

Good idea:  That fencing, with the very limited 

crossing of Hershey Park Drive, makes the walking

much longer--very hard on my father the last times

he went with me.  There need to be more crossing points.

I walk in on Hockersville Rd, past the treatment plant, get to the edge of the Green Field, and have to go across the back of the Giant Center to find an opening. Could be easy, but it is so annoying it affects my generally pleasant attitude.

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I walk in on Hockersville Rd, past the treatment plant, get to the edge of the Green Field, and have to go across the back of the Giant Center to find an opening. Could be easy, but it is so annoying it affects my generally pleasant attitude.

Where do you park, Bernie?