Do I need ''permatex form a gasket sealant'',when replacing the manifold gasket or valve cover gasket?

ski.dive

Make sure you use brake clean and a scotch brite scrubbie to clean off the old gasket surfaces. Most auto parts stores sell a kit where you can mount circular discs to your air tool or electric drill for this job.  Clean the surface once again with brake clean and a rag before you put everything together.  Use black Permatex gasket sealer at each corner where the side gaskets meet with the end gaskets(about a little fingernail size amount).  Clean the intake bolts with a wire brush, clean the bolt holes with brake clean and run a tap down them to remove any crud.  Let the Permatex dry for an hour before torqueing them down incrementally to 37 Ft lbs after coating the bolts with blue Loctite.

The Fel Pro gasket set comes with several gaskets for the EGR valve and other parts of the intake that come apart.  

I think this is a great time to install a new PCV valve and gasket and to clean the throttle body and idle air control valve.

I would also do an oil and oil filter change after you are sure the engine runs well when you are done.  There is always a chance of dropping some crud into the crank case during the job.

Oh yeah, be sure to drain the radiator first,  I simply   pull the lower radiator hose and clamp off the coolant tank.

Some tips.  Remove the coolant tank to give you more room (2 sheet metal bolts) and remove the small rubber hose as the radiator cap area.  Totally remove the alternator.  Take pics of the hose and pipe routings and especially how the alternator and power steering braces are put together (they are like a Chinese puzzle).  Remove the throttle body and the spacer between it and the intake manifold to give you more room to work.

I just finished this job.  Not easy and it is time consuming.  Feel free to e-mail me if you run into problems.  I check my e-mail several times a day and I am retired.  Corvetteronw@gmail.com and leave your phone number so I can call you.

Edited by AZVET (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

I remember an oldtimer back in the 1950s and 60s known as PAPPY TAYLOR who worked on smallblock chevy engines for the famous WELD brothers of dirttrack racing fame.  (WED EHEELS)  He used to cut about 4in of table lamp cord and take a strand of copperwire putting it through the valve cover bolt holes...then through the gasket and tie it like a shoestring on the outside of the valve cove.  Install the valve cover and then untie the copper strand and pull it out.  No crimped gasket or leaks....