Almquist Sabre

DAVE A

I just purchased a car and a batch of parts from the estate of one my recently deceased friends.  Included in the deal was a never assembled body of an Almquist Sabre.  I've decided to try to build the car for my grandson.  Anyone have any experience with one ?  Also the floor, which may have been part of the original kit was not included.  Need a suggestion for that.  Thanks

Pictures would help. But, a lot of early fibreglass bodies were empty shells with no floor, firewall, doors etc. It was up to the builder to create everything. This is why many were never completed. The job was too complex.

If I were doing the build I would keep it as simple as possible, don't even try to make opening doors just hop in over the side. Back in the day you would start by buying a suitable used car and stripping it to the chassis. Today this is not practical because everything is front wheel drive. You may have to chose between finding a chassis from the eighties or earlier, or building a frame from scratch.

I would start by measuring the wheelbase and track width and go from there. It may turn out an old VW beetle floor pan is the easiest, if you can find one. BMW made some small rear drive cars that might supply suitable engine and drive train.

Floor, firewall, bulkheads etc can be made of marine plywood and fibreglassed in. Plywood done right is as strong as steel and will last practically as long. See the Marcos sports car which had a body and chassis made of plywood.

From the photos it appears the body is on the small side, about like a Mazda Miata. I am trying to think of a front suspension that comes as a complete assembly and keep coming back to VW beetle or Karmann Ghia (KG had disc brakes). Then there are many rear suspensions from small BMW, some Japanese 4 wheel drive, either live axle or independent.

This appears to be an Almquist body applied to a Crosley, with Crosley engine.

Edit, it's a V-8 - Most Almquist cars featured Crosley engines, Glascock's car is powered by the rarely-seen 2200cc. flathead Ford V8/60.

1951 Crosley Almquist H-Mod
Almquist Engineering was founded by Ed Almquist, who was one of the most famous individuals in the history of hot rodding. The Almquist catalogs were filled with custom accessories and performance parts. Along with performance parts, Ed also made a line of fiberglass kit car bodies after purchasing a stock of fiberglass bodies from Clearfield Plastics. The Clearfield Plastics Company had made fiberglass sports car bodies to fit on the Fiat Topolino or a Crosley chassis. The production manager at Clearfield, Harry Heim, would later design the Almquist bodies. 

The first Almquist vehicles were called the Sabre I and rested on a 124-inch long platform and clothed with a European-inspired roadster body. They could accommodate a wheelbase size of 72 to 82 inches. These compact cars with a very short wheelbase had deep side covers and a bobbed nose.
https://www.conceptcarz.com/z20650/crosley-almquist-h-mod.aspx

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

Remember there are no rules when building a 50s fiberglass kit car. Anything goes. Make the floor and some cut down doors out of nice varnished plywood and rock it! I agree a Crosley drivetrain and frame is perfect,right size and stuff DIRT cheap. Buy some Braje repro speed equipment for the moor and rock it. All can be done for little. Good luck,George Albright

Thanks to all so far. There was a zd Crosley frame to lower it included.  The doors and hood and headlight panels were also included.  I have pretty extensive Crosley experience, but I don't know squat about fiberglass.  There were also some Braje stuff in the deal and a couple engines.  I'll look at the stuff on line and I already sent an email to Mr Hacker with no reply.  I'm still in PA. And will attach pictures as soon as I can.

On 8/3/2018 at 8:12 PM, DAVE A said:

I've decided to try to build the car for my grandson.  

What a great grandfather (not a great-grandfather) you must be!

Be sure, though, that this is something that your grandson will

truly use and appreciate--sufficiently so for all the hours you will spend.

I hear of parents or grandparents acquiring cars for children,

hoping they will become interested, but then finding out they are not.

If your grandson is grateful, you and he can make some memories

together that he'll remember all his life.  If not, choose some other

way of making memories!  There are many avenues to do that.

Thanks to all so far. There was a zd Crosley frame to lower it included.  The doors and hood and headlight panels were also included.  I have pretty extensive Crosley experience, but I don't know squat about fiberglass.  There were also some Braje stuff in the deal and a couple engines.  I'll look at the stuff on line and I already sent an email to Mr Hacker with no reply.  I'm still in PA. And will attach pictures as soon as I can.

John, I appreciate the thought.  Each of my grandchildren will get a restored Crosley.  5 have gone out already, and 3 are being shown currently.  If they decide to sell them, then so be it.  I have tried to choose a car for each one that fits that kids interests.  I hope they will have something to remember grandpa by, if not a source for a few dollars some day for each one.

• 2 months later...