1932 model 66 coupe

Pete Phillips

Customer of mine wants to sell his recently acquired 1932 60-series business coupe. He doesn't like it because it is happiest at 45-50 mph and he wants to go 70 and drive it every day--is thinking of street-rodding this gorgeous thing now.

PLEASE someone buy it before he does that. One of only 636 made, the wood is rock solid, engine starts on the first crank, runs beautifully--finest running '32 I have ever been around. Previous owner inverted the intake manifold and put a more modern down-draft carburetor on it, making it very easy to start. Has good paint with a few scratches here and there, no rust. We rewired the rear half of the car in my shop two months ago, fixed the rear brakes, and replaced the rear grease seals on the axle. Has the 272 cu. in. straight eight, clear title, rear-mounted spare, wood spoke wheels, and I sold him a pair of Trippe driving lights which we mounted on the front bumper braces--dont' think those were on when I took the photos. Asking price is $20,000.  Very solid, turn-key car. Has incorrect but good condition vinyl upholstery. Located near Bonham, Texas 75418. Not mine, just getting the word out for a friend/customer of mine.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

1932 model 66 front.jpg

1932 model 66.jpg

1932 model 66 rear.jpg

1932 model 66 wheel bearing work.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Still for sale, someone needs to save this rare gem before it gets street-rodded by the owner in about a week from now. Model 66 business coupe, one of 630 made! Finest running straight eight I have ever been around. Starts on half a turn of the crank, due to the addition of a downdraft carburetor and more modern intake manifold. We have installed a set of Trippe lights on the front, installed new running boards & running board rubber, and new rear brakes and grease seals. Car can be driven anywhere--I drove it to the auto parts store yesterday. No clutch chatter, brakes work in a straight line, all gauges work. Very, very rare turn-key car. $20,000 or close offer.

IMG_9052.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tell your customer to install over drive.   That way you can travel 65 / 70 with no sweat.   I have a '38' and I installed over drive and I now travel trips over 3 - 400 miles a day.     I went on a trip two years ago that was around 1600 miles long.   Over drive lets that happen.   The guy in Ohio does them and he did mine back in '14'    Cost is reasonable.   Mine ran around $1900 total.     Plus, people will be amazed that a car this well build can run all day.     I just bought a '35' Vicky.   I will be installing over drive in it this fall.   This way I can drive it and keep up with traffic.   I am in a major sized city (+1,000,000 or more).    My '38' keeps up with all traffic.   My Vicky will also when I get my OD installed. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure he didnt buy something ordineary like a 350 Chevie did he? Throw a carburetor on top? 3 speed automatic? Because that would be AWESOME!

Or lame like every other rod. At least it wont drive like a buick anymore. Thats what he really wants anyway. A 1970s chevy that looks like a buick.

On 8/20/2018 at 1:19 PM, Daves1940Buick56S said:

But no more room, plus the cost of the divorce would push it way up over $20k!

On 8/22/2018 at 2:49 PM, Pete Phillips said:

Price reduced to $18,500, FIRM. Not much time left before it becomes a street rod, which I hate to see the owner do.

Which is an example of extortion?

Bernie

Why didn't he just buy one of the sea of other resto mods on the market for under 30 rather than cut up an original?  Which he will have alot more into before he is done,  especially if a shop,  any shop is building it as labor is by the hour.  So for 40G plus he will have an average 30 G car.  Brilliant strategy. 

• Like 1