1925 Buick Standard horn button - no response

Hubert_25-25

I have a horn button that does not work.  The entire mechanism looks rivetted together.  Has anyone tried soaking their horn button in anything to try to get it to operate?    

I would consider another one as plan B, but want to try something first.  Year is 1915 6 cylinder thru 1921, 1922-24 4 cylinder, 1925 standard.

Thank you,   Hugh

IMG_6598.thumb.JPG.a7cb990b6d98c17a9633abc7cdce5d4a.JPG

My horn button didn't work either. I soaked it in vinegar and worked the switch 100 times until the contacts inside became untarnished. The contact points are copper and vinegar destroys copper patina, much better than rust remover. Don't bother with evaporust, it does nothing to copper.

• Like 1

Hugh

Yes it is riveted together. Ours was , you guessed it, broken.

Not only was the button cracked in half but the bakelite holder of all the contact parts was broken too .

If you have a source for a replacement , I'm all ears as I never found one.

I ended up having my retired machinist fiddle with making a new button and a new contact holder out of Delrin. Replaced the rivets with screws so, you know , I could service it .

The parts inside are simple

Brad

• Like 2

Brad, 

I am following Morgan's advise and giving my horn button the spa treatment in a vinegar bath.  I have had good luck using vinegar for rust removal.  I got lucky polishing it too because somehow I shot it across the work bench when the buffing wheel grabbed it, and it didn't break.   I should know something in a day or 2.    Hugh

• Like 4

I learned a bit about my horn button today.  So much tarnish on the copper that I was really unaware of how this operated.  I thought that the "switch" was actually in the horn bakelight  assembly, but it is not.  That is just a spring assembly and the contact is the copper surface under the bakelight button that touches the aluminum housing when pressed.  All good now.   It spent 1 day in the  vinegar spa which removed the tarnish.   Hugh    

IMG_6607.thumb.JPG.351e5759890b0ac4ead4605be15d2c74.JPG

• Like 6

Larry, 

Not sure if I am missing a part.  You mention a spacer washer.  Is it part 255338?  This part is called a stationary friction washer.  I did not have this in my parts when I disassembled my spark and throttle levers.  Do you have any details on this part?   Thank you,   Hugh

921772098_sparkandthrottleparts.thumb.JPG.ab475912076bf562ad9a73464d201862.JPG

624692668_sparkandthrottleparts2.JPG.6b9c497311261b48e0d1bf6ca3281571.JPG

Mark.

They looks to fit on Std models,Master looks a little bit different.I sold my 1925-25 resto.objekt a couple of week ago to Osterrich I know he needs the left ones in the photo.

Maybe you could contakt him  Nigel McComb at    nigel.mccomb@avl.com   Almost everyting (missing some small parts) is packed on the car just to made it easier to transport.

Leif in Sweden.

Buick 1925-25 Österrike 011.JPG

Buick 1925-25 Österrike 010.JPG

Buick 1925-25 Österrike 012.JPG

Hugh.

Maybe there are some nickel on the outer edgeo on it,but it`s hard to see,but there are no brass,just iron-steel in it.If I was you I should have made it in stainless steel insted?If it`s possible to find such a thin material of stainless steel?

Leif in Sweden.

• Like 1

Leif:

Thank you for making the sketch for Hugh. I spoke with him last night. I was doing a drawing for him also since my steering column has been apart. Yes the original was steel with some plating on it. On mine it was rusty and pitted with just a trace of plating left. 

Below is the order of assembly.

DSCF6980.thumb.JPG.73ed7fa38810a138df0d385886b0e592.JPG

The friction washer in place over the throttle lever.

DSCF6979.thumb.JPG.04d0ab5ee115eb79ef16fe5c85b3257b.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sort of related.

I got this part in a box of other Buick parts.

Can anyone identify?

Too new for me.  For Sale once I figure out what I have.

I would say it would buff up like new if you were careful.

I'm not looking to get rich, more interested in helping this part find a home and help someone out.

Don't be the guy who buys this and then takes it to Hershey to pay for his dinner.

20160421_181418_resized.jpg

On 8/6/2018 at 9:52 PM, Brian_Heil said:

Sort of related.

I got this part in a box of other Buick parts.

Can anyone identify?

Too new for me.  For Sale once I figure out what I have.

I would say it would buff up like new if you were careful.

I'm not looking to get rich, more interested in helping this part find a home and help someone out.

Don't be the guy who buys this and then takes it to Hershey to pay for his dinner.

20160421_181418_resized.jpgHi, This bakelite part is perfect for my 1930 Buick. It doesn´t matter if it is standard or Master because I´m trying to complete these steering wheel parts. I´m looking for the wooden parts of the steering wheel. If you still have this part, please tell me how can I make to buy it. Thank you!

Hi, This bakelite part is perfect for my 1930 Buick. It doesn´t matter if it is standard or Master because I´m trying to complete these steering wheel parts. I´m looking for the wooden parts of the steering wheel. If you still have this part, please tell me how can I make to buy it. Thank you!

For those who don't want to take their horn button apart ( and I would not advise it)

Here is a photo I forgot I took of the exploded horn button and the exploded parts that go with it!

The rivets are set/cast into the button bakelite and then the brass disc/body assembly is riveted to it so replacing the rivets is pretty much impossible! The body can be recreated from a piece of 1" Delrin rod  although it gets pretty intricate.

Brad

PA100287.thumb.JPG.0de64fd515298a1b3309e2c6db1ff068.JPG

I completed one throttle washer today.  I sure do appreciate all of the help with dimensions and advice.  I bought a small piece of stainless and used a couple of bimetal hole saws and a grinder.  It's all polished up and ready to go.  Too bad that this is a 1925 Buick Standard 1 year only part.   Hugh

1133217090_SparkandThrottleWasher.thumb.JPG.c6b44264d58335d1b3da86d087fe7174.JPG

747081350_Sparkandthrottlewasher1.thumb.JPG.d987145c55f736e207c906bc42362579.JPG

1333810310_Sparkandthrottlewasher2.thumb.JPG.3fd0a2b05aa8e0dcb5b5242699430692.JPG

347900274_Sparkandthrottlewasher3.thumb.JPG.e0af0915dc4bce2ab49bf13410cf5d76.JPG

2054634593_Sparkandthrottlewasher4.thumb.JPG.75b1f300aa72d4a7c5e64e15e72da007.JPG

1723342016_Sparkandthrottlewasher5.thumb.JPG.2e6d0029f3eeb95e0c4abdf59cc8a7dd.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Thanks to all that posted to this page I finally got my Buick 1925-24 horn button to work.  I was able to remove it from the steering wheel and saw all the parts were there except for the springs that hold the 2 friction pads out.  I didn’t have a clue they were missing until I saw the photo Hugh posted.

The button never worked because I could never get continuity through the ground wire and I didn’t want to mess with the button because I was concerned I would break it.  After seeing the photos I decided to carefully give it a try and got it out easily without damage.

The button appeared to be in good condition so I just soaked it overnight in a vinegar bath then reassembeled with the 2 springs and new wire. That was just what the doctor ordered!  Works perfectly now.  Tweeted it to I get the best aooogha sound.  Now if the weather here in Colorado would cooperate I would take her out for a test.  Seems like a can’t get more than a mile down the road before someone honks or is waving at the car…

• Like 4