Hudson auction

old car fan

This auction shows the importance of details when donating cars to a museum. 

In this case, there was no restrictions on what could be done with the cars, even though it was intended to be a long time running museum,  it is now being sold for the money.

• Like 2

I'd love to be able to follow the money after the auction.  Supposedly it will be used for town improvements, but that much cash will make some people greedy.  I bet there'll be some good "consultants" fees on what to do with the money.....

Sorry to sound sour grapes, this was one man's dream collection and leaving it to a town such as that was a mistake.  Good news is the cars will be in the hands of collectors soon, bad news is there'll probably never be another Hudson museum to show the history of the company.

I must have missed something here.  The title of this thread is "Hudson Auction".  No where in this thread is reference to the location and date of the auction.  Perhaps it's a "Hudson thing" and non Hudsoners aren't  welcome.  It's nice that "Hornet Driver" let us know that there is a Hudson museum in Ypsilanti, Michigan, but I have no idea if that is related to the "Auction" or not.

Just sayin'/askin'.

Cheers,

Grog

I watched On-Line and there were some excellent deals on some very special vehicles-

The feed seemed to have been cut off after less than 2 hours

I watched the auction on the internet. I think a lot of the Hudson's brought strong money. Some of those cars can be bought on the open market for less. Maybe the quality of the cars, and coming from the collection, added to the value. I missed the Hornet coupes? Anyone know what they sold for? I did write down the sale prices in the auction catalog. Nice job on the catalog, who ever put that together, the car were presented very well. The 36 convertible coupe out bidding the 34 convertible coupe was a shocker. might be the condition of the two cars. The Hudson/terraplane trucks did very good IMO. Would have been fun to see the auction in person. 

11 hours ago, capngrog said:

I must have missed something here.  The title of this thread is "Hudson Auction".  No where in this thread is reference to the location and date of the auction.  Perhaps it's a "Hudson thing" and non Hudsoners aren't  welcome.  It's nice that "Hornet Driver" let us know that there is a Hudson museum in Ypsilanti, Michigan, but I have no idea if that is related to the "Auction" or not.

Just sayin'/askin'.

Cheers,

Grog

Grog. I asked that question on Monday!!  It took until late Saturday to get a reply. I would have watched it but had no idea how to get the to it. Just didn’t do the right search, my error. But a while ago there was a good thread about incomplete threads and/or thread starters that don’t bother to come back to the thread. I guess this was just one of those. Too bad. 

Dave S 

Did that Phaeton really sell for that?  You can't even buy a crappy needing alot of work Model A phaeton for that.  Was there a sudden rush for the bathroom when it went through or did the power go out?  Only two reasons after looking at all the results that could explain that car selling that crazy cheap.   I would have guessed upwards of 50G. 

The twin to my Pickup did well.  I bet mine will out run it though with the later twin carb 262 in it and 3.0 gears out back. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Did that Phaeton really sell for that?  You can't even buy a crappy needing alot of work Model A phaeton for that.  Was there a sudden rush for the bathroom when it went through or did the power go out?  Only two reasons after looking at all the results that could explain that car selling that crazy cheap.   I would have guessed upwards of 50G. 

The twin to my Pickup did well.  I bet mine will out run it though with the later twin carb 262 in it and 3.0 gears out back. 

They have the wrong price listed for that car.

Has anybody added up the total, assuming the phaeton was 132K and not 13.2 K?

Bet that little town is thrilled to have 4 million plus as a gift.  As I've said before, I'd love to follow the money and see where it ends up.....

• Like 2

I personally think it's time to leave the poor town alone. They were sitting on a $6M asset which would have whittled away over another 10-15 years to zero (making their citizenry very pissed off), all while remaining viable by selling a couple of cars per year. And the only real museum audience would be largely Hudson Marque aficionados and people living close by. Any financial adviser (and auditor) would insist good governance demands liquidating. This way the town gets it's $6M (maybe to spend on street repair, infrastructure, civic pride), and the cars go to well heeled people who are super happy to have them and can look after them with the level of TLC they deserve, maybe even drive them around! The big net advantage as I see it is that now many of these cars will be showing up across the country at shows where everyone can seee them. As I see it, it's a win-win-win for everyone. Sure was a great collection, and I'm sure Mr Hostetler is happy the proud new owners have shown their willingness to pay for such rare gems.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

I personally think it's time to leave the poor town alone. They were sitting on a $6M asset which would have whittled away over another 10-15 years to zero (making their citizenry very pissed off), all while remaining viable by selling a couple of cars per year. And the only real museum audience would be largely Hudson Marque aficionados and people living close by. Any financial adviser (and auditor) would insist good governance demands liquidating. This way the town gets it's $6M (maybe to spend on street repair, infrastructure, civic pride), and the cars go to well heeled people who are super happy to have them and can look after them with the level of TLC they deserve, maybe even drive them around! The big net advantage as I see it is that now many of these cars will be showing up across the country at shows where everyone can seee them. As I see it, it's a win-win-win for everyone. Sure was a great collection, and I'm sure Mr Hostetler is happy the proud new owners have shown their willingness to pay for such rare gems.

I bet more are destined to be locked in collection not open to the public than many think. 

I bet few of the buyers only have one old car.  Even if you don't mean to,  they get put in the corner or on personal display.  I'm even guilty of it.  I don't even have time to go to a car show or show any of mine,  much less get them ready to show.  I've resorted to being happy to beable to drive one of them to the post office or hardware store once in a while.  Being slef employed with an internet based business where most of my inventory gets delivered to the door,  I rarely get out period, especially since I sold my shop on the other side of town. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I bet more are destined to be locked in collection not open to the public than many think. 

I bet few of the buyers only have one old car.  Even if you don't mean to,  they get put in the corner or on personal display.  I'm even guilty of it.  I don't even have time to go to a car show or show any of mine,  much less get them ready to show.  I've resorted to being happy to beable to drive one of them to the post office or hardware store once in a while.  Being slef employed with an internet based business where most of my inventory gets delivered to the door,  I rarely get out period, especially since I sold my shop on the other side of town. 

And this is the problem, for the love of the Cord, I will care for it, for you. Your friend, Xander:lol:

7 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

And this is the problem, for the love of the Cord, I will care for it, for you. Your friend, Xander:lol:

Find me that Auburn and you have a deal.  I offered to take care of your Auburn and you could take care of my Cord but you didn't jump at the chance. 

25 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Speedster had to be sold.:( I will find a Cord one day, much better buy in price, compared to the Duesenberg.

Cords are cool and I’m a big fan, but one is a semi-mass produced and the other hand built to order.  Market pricing is about right in both cases with the Cord being a slight bargain against other cars (but not the J!)

I gave up on a Duessy long ago.  I figured I would settle for an Auburn some day.  The little sister of the Duessy but just as stylish.  Most non serious car people, especially ones that are into really old iron like us,  would probably not know the difference if I pulled into the local Cruise in with a 33 Convertible sedan and told them it was a Duessy,  they would probably believe me.  I'll happily settle for runner up. 

1.jpg

1919 Essex Series A Touring

SOLD for $26,400

1.jpg

1922 Essex Four Touring

SOLD for $26,400

1.jpg

1925 Essex Roadster

SOLD for $16,500

1.jpg

1928 Essex Super Six Two-Door Coach

SOLD for $30,800