Think whitewalls weren't used before the war?

Dynaflash8

13 minutes ago, padgett said:

I thought tires were originally all white and the black (tire black) had to be added to hide dirt.

Rubber is naturally white. The vulcanization process turns it black and makes it far more durable. Whitewalls aren't really one or the other, just decorative. It isn't the black rubber carved off or anything like that.

Actually, carbon is introduced into the rubber to make it black. I have a photo of my grandfather at Fort Clark, TX in 1917 standing in front of a row of GMC motor ambulances all with big brass headlamps and whitewall tires!

10 hours ago, padgett said:

I thought tires were originally all white and the black (tire black) had to be added to hide dirt.

Early tires were mostly gray, the color of the raw latex.

They became black after it was discovered that adding carbon black to the rubber compound made tires last longer.

Some tire companies also offered colored sidewalls to harmonize with different paint schemes. Their targets were the bigger, higher end cars of the times. There was a good article about them in one of the car publications awhile back.

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, jpage said:

Some tire companies also offered colored sidewalls to harmonize with different paint schemes. Their targets were the bigger, higher end cars of the times. There was a goos article about them in one of the car publications awhile back.

Does anyone have a picture of a colored side wall tire on a car?

The article showed several color schemes and artist renderings but no real photos. I don't think that they made a big impression! Sorta like early ethanol fuel in the '30's, petered out like most fads!

Pre war white walls? In 1932 ALL yes ALL Cadillac cars came standard with them, black walls were available special order at no charge, and COLORED walls to match the car were available, red, blue, green, and in the later 30's orange. All early tires were non dyed white all over. Nothing special about white walls, or white tires. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Single sided white walls became available in 1939. Loads of cars had whitewalls prior to that but they were white on BOTH sides or completely white. I have a broshure from a tire company showing yellow side walls.    

Matt has it right about ports-walls.  Unless you are going for some weird 50-60's thing, don't walk away, RUN.  

jpage  Thank you for the compliment. I researched and wrote the article on colored side walls for Hemmings Classic Car issue 139 April 2016. All illustrations from period material. It would be hard to get a period photograph in color as black & white was what photographs were mostly pre war, and any color work was not done the same way we are used to now so the actual color shown would be not totally correct as to the way it looked (think color magazine ads of the era using photographs of cars).

• Like 1

This thread was hijacked by an unrelated question about portawalls. I have split that question into its own discussion. If you wish to comment on portawalls, please reply to the other discussion.

Natural rubber is off-white. But natural rubber tires wore out quickly (soft compound) and heated up and deformed under load.  Zinc oxide was added to make them harder and wear better; it also made them bright white. About WWI, carbon black started to replace zinc oxide; it was found to make the compound even more temperature stable, harder and stronger, so the tires lasted longer. Initially only the tread had carbon black added to it, hence white wall tires. The carbon black also had the unexpected effect of adding some UV stability and slowing ozone damage.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

On 7/31/2018 at 5:22 AM, jpage said:

Some tire companies also offered colored sidewalls to harmonize with different paint schemes. Their targets were the bigger, higher end cars of the times. There was a good article about them in one of the car publications awhile back.

Here you go. Look at the last two pictures.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Vintage-1956-NOS-7-10-15-U-S-Royal-Master-Blue-Color-Wall-White-Wall-Tires/121864031823?hash=item1c5fa98e4f%3Ag%3AJFwAAOSwLN5Wld9v&_sop=7&_sacat=10073&_nkw=white+wall+tire&_from=R40&rt=nc

Edited by Xander Wildeisen (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I'm just finishing off an old book called "Cars With Personalities"  (John Conde) and it may provide some insight here.  The book is a collection of hundreds of pictures of cars (1900 - 1982) with famous people and/or celebrities.  The kind of folks who often drive high end cars which, you'd think, might have white walls.

In the early years of course we see lots of all-white or grey tires.  Whitewalls seem to start showing up in the early 20s, although King George's Rolls has a nice set in 1917.  Mostly high end cars, but not exclusively, sported white walls occasionally and they were double sided. 

By the end of the 20s it seems like most of the Cadillacs and Lincolns shown have whitewalls (single sided) along with some other high-end makes.  But what really jumped out at me are the Packards.  This book is full of them, far more than any other make.  Yet, the first example of whitewalls shown on a Packard is 1931.  All of the many, many celebrity Packards shown from the 20s have blackwalls.

In the 30s it seems like many, but certainly not all, of the higher end cars have whitewalls as well as some of the medium priced cars.  By the end of the thirties they seem to show up on just about any make, but there are still many cars with blackwall tires.

What does all this mean?  Maybe not much.  Maybe it was still a matter of personal preference for these celebrities, but I suspect that in many of these cases the car was furnished by the dealer of factory, so it may have been the look they wanted for their cars.  Maybe they didn't like the look of dirty whitewalls.

So, to me, it seems like it's hard to be too critical either way ...  except maybe those 20s Packards :)

The book is available on Amazon for $1.49.  Not bad for 250 pages of original photos.

Peter