Sactownog

1933 3 speed transmission rebuild

Well I plan to now take out the Transmission and have it rebuilt or rebuild it my self. I am fairly handy with mechanical projects and am wondering if anyone can give me info on taking apart and rebuilding the transmission. 

the transmission has no syncros and is kind of loud/clunky. I am wondering if this is a project most could take on themselves, also, are there any upgrades to the internals that can be done for smoother operation? 

I would take it on. But then I am not frightened of things like that. I overhauled my 1939 Studebaker gearbox and overdrive 25 years ago.

For parts, should you need them, it may help to know the box (case #603723) is a T194 and was used in Dodge '33-34, some 1//2 T trucks '33-34, Ply 32-33 to #1817101, Ply '33-34 PD, PE. With a different main drive gear it was used in DeSoto '34 SE and with another MDG in Chry '34 CA, CB and Dodge '34 1/2 ton (some).

You say the tail shaft wobbles? do you mean the output pinion out of the gearbox? If so, that sounds like a bearing problem. Expect to find the bearing by size or from the numbers stamped in the one you take out. I have found CarID to be a good web site for bearings; go in with the Timken or whatever number. They work by application but you can search on a bearing number. I found my rear wheel bearings there quite cheaply this way.

SKF bearings: SKF Master Bearings Interchange

The online version is http://www.skfpartsinfo.com/ 

Go into the interchange tab.

If you need seals, SKF Seals Interchange

It won't take much asking on the www to find similar downloadable Timken catalogues on line. There is the interchange by bearing number and there is another document for bearings by size, with similar documents for seals.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I did a fairly detailed explanation of my DIY transmission rebuild on my 32 Dodge DL.  It’s in the Dodge and Dodge Brothers section under the title, The Ressurection Of Daphne starting on page 30.  This should give you a good idea of what is involved.  If the gears are in good shape, new bearings and seals should get you there.

• Like 1

I just finished the rebuild on my 26 DB transmission. Gaskets and cork seals were easy to make and my local parts store was able to get the bearings. Probably could have completed it in a day or so but got persnickety about cosmetics. All and all a pretty straight forward job. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2018 at 2:41 PM, Wheelmang said:

I just finished the rebuild on my 26 DB transmission. Gaskets and cork seals were easy to make and my local parts store was able to get the bearings. Probably could have completed it in a day or so but got persnickety about cosmetics. All and all a pretty straight forward job. 

man, so my transmission apparently now is making some clanging noise when I go backwards. when I drive it has a slight tick. really never heard a transmission do this, it really is like a BELL ringing in the tranny. WTF 

guess I will need to rip it out and rebuild it. :(

I’ve also just done my 27. All the gears were in reasonable shape so I just replaced all the bearings. It’s a reasonably straightforward job if your mechanically minded which most of us are to own these old girls. Not sure what your clicking is but as suggested taking the top of gives you a good look inside if the boxes are similar. 

26519E1D-4DC6-40F7-BEED-F67B896054A5.jpeg

4C3E6B5D-B705-435B-AA22-A304DFE1E14E.jpeg

Be sure it is the transmission and not the clutch or something in the hand brake system on the back of the gearbox. That drum rings like a bell when struck.

• Like 1