Code 41 Engine Control - Throttle Body Senssor

Bob Stein

I recently sold my 1989 Buick Reatta to a friend who used to be a mechanic at the very dealership the car was sold at.  It has had an erratic Code 41 error triggering the Engine Electrical Error signal on the CRT since I bought the car two years ago.  I went through the list, replacing the oil pressure sensor twice, the O2 sensor, and the crank and cam shaft sensors as well as the magnet.  Sometimes it would go for a day or more with no code, and then other times I'd get the 'ding' - and the error message every five minutes.  I had finally given up, since the car never had any issues other than that, and I drove it without problem on a couple of long 250+ mile trips.  I saw the buyer at a club meeting last week and he informed me that the culprit had been the Throttle Position Sensor  (TPS)!  I do not recall that even being on the list of possible causes.  The only reason he caught it was he had his separate factory test unit hooked up when it threw the code for the TPS.  It did not store the code in the car's computer, but triggered the Engine Electrical Code message.  So if you have been fighting an elusive Code 41 error, check out your Throttle Position Sensor!

• Thanks 2

Wow, thanks. I currently have an intermittent 041 code. My heart sank when I read it, since I replaced the magnet 2 years ago. But, if I turn off the engine and restart it, the 041 goes away. Also, my AC will cut out unexpectedly, whenever it wants to. Answer is to turn off engine, and re-start. The problem I have is the ECM, I got it out of a second 1990 Reatta I owned. My original ECM had a fault, that the rpm gauge would not work, and when the rpm gauge doesn't work, the AC compressor will not kick on. So, I swapped the ECM from my spare car to the one I like best. It fixed the rpm gauge 100%. But, my instrument panel, once in a while now, goes black and gives the ERROR. Fix that by turning off the motor and re-starting. So basically, my car inherited the ECM faults in the one I'd swapped from the other '90. Who in the world would ever have imagined the rpm gauge not working, would not allow the compressor to kick on ?? So, I believe anything's possible on these cars re electrical issues. My knock sensor is reading in the 500 knocks range constantly, I diagnosed everything as in the manual's suggestion, the conclusion is a bad ECM. I'd like to replace it if I knew I could find one that is totally functional

1 hour ago, ChrisWhewell said:

Wow, thanks. I currently have an intermittent 041 code. My heart sank when I read it, since I replaced the magnet 2 years ago. But, if I turn off the engine and restart it, the 041 goes away. Also, my AC will cut out unexpectedly, whenever it wants to. Answer is to turn off engine, and re-start. The problem I have is the ECM, I got it out of a second 1990 Reatta I owned. My original ECM had a fault, that the rpm gauge would not work, and when the rpm gauge doesn't work, the AC compressor will not kick on. So, I swapped the ECM from my spare car to the one I like best. It fixed the rpm gauge 100%. But, my instrument panel, once in a while now, goes black and gives the ERROR. Fix that by turning off the motor and re-starting. So basically, my car inherited the ECM faults in the one I'd swapped from the other '90. Who in the world would ever have imagined the rpm gauge not working, would not allow the compressor to kick on ?? So, I believe anything's possible on these cars re electrical issues. My knock sensor is reading in the 500 knocks range constantly, I diagnosed everything as in the manual's suggestion, the conclusion is a bad ECM. I'd like to replace it if I knew I could find one that is totally functional

The knock sensing is in the Memcal. When the ECM was swapped, did the original chip get swapped in? 

I can see an occasional resistive circuit affecting everything on that circuit and the computer just showing the one that is out of range. Guess not many have recording scanners for the ALDL though they are available for a PC from Moates.net & OTC 2000s still show up on CL.