'62 Starfire Console Wiring Question

Does anyone who is familiar with the '62 Starfires know what the 3rd rectangular shaped electrical connector is for

that connects the console to main wiring harness under the dash?  There are 4 electrical connectors in total, being the 3 large rectangular shaped ones, plus one smaller one.  The car is original, not tampered with to my knowledge. It has factory A/C, PW, but no other options like Safety Sentinel, Electronic Eye,  Cruise.  I think  2 out of the 3 rectangular connectors are for the power windows.  The 3rd rectangular connector thats connected to absolutely nothing and just hanging between the console & the dash escapes me.  I can't find it anywhere in the service manuals except for a picture of all 4 connectors in  '61 Starfire Supplement Manual that details the console,  but makes no reference to what the connectors are for or what they control.  This elusive 3rd connector has 6 slots in it with only 5 occupied by following colored wires ( red/wht stripe, brown, purple, grey, green), and the last slot is empty.   I was thinking maybe for power door locks, but was this available in '62?.  I do know that grey is usually for accessory lighting, etc so that rules out pdl.  Maybe there's another option that I'm unaware of possibly?  I'm really stumped on this!  On the other end of this unconnected connector is what appears to be an electrical switch wrapped in black tape beneath the console, and its wrapped around the electrical harness.  I'm thinking that it could be that way from the factory, but I don't know that for sure. 

If anyone knows the answer to this mystery, I'd be very grateful!!

Possibly the answer to the mystery switch/harness connector question - saw the attached pic taken from the internet

showing a single switch just ahead of the shifter on a convertible.  This is probably the answer.  Always thought

convertible top switch was on dash above radio.   Anyone know what this switch operates438264132_consolemysteryswitchforaaoc.thumb.jpg.e2b5eb43403eac5f4e209cb5b57b52e5.jpg?

2 hours ago, Starfire62 said:

Possibly the answer to the mystery switch/harness connector question - saw the attached pic taken from the internet

showing a single switch just ahead of the shifter on a convertible.  This is probably the answer.  Always thought

convertible top switch was on dash above radio.   Anyone know what this switch operates?

Look at your photo again.  That's a PAIR of switches - for the optional electric venti-panes (option U-7, a $53.15 additional charge). If your car doesn't have these, that's what the unused connector is for.

1962-oldsmobile-starfire71.jpg

Notice that the red car does not have the switches and clearly has hand cranks for the vent windows.

fc5fc8c49c6549740b56267ef5eb59d0.jpg

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)

Thanks Joe - you are a wealth of information!  Had no idea the vent windows came with that option.  Learn

something everyday.  I would imagine more of these cars would be equipped with power vent windows,

but that was in '62 dollars.  Curious, is there a listing of all available options somewhere for these cars? 

Again, much appreciated!!