Cracked 322 Head

SJF1948

I pulled the heads off of my 322 to address two stuck valves. As it  turned out it was a good move, one of the head gaskets was close to failing at a water port. In the process of disassembly and cleaning of the heads I also discovered two cracks in the exhaust crossover port on the right head! One crack goes from the machined surface through to the outside of the casting. The crack appears to be an old one as the gasket has a matching mark on it. This is my first Buick so I'm not familiar with any defects if any with these engines. Any thoughts, comments, possible repairs that could be made. I can't imagine there will be many good used heads available if it's trashed. For what it's worth, this is a 53, 62,000 miles, appears to be original, no rebuilds or previous repairs.

Cracked Head 001.jpg

Cracked Head 002.jpg

It is probably just semantics but I would consider the machined surface as the outside surface and I think the possibility of repair is dependant on how deep that crack goes into the port.  Is it just on the surface or much deeper inside? 

Also, where is the second crack that was mentioned? 

One can only speculate on a cause. Faulty casting or overheating possibly due to a stuck heat riser valve? But since its not in the intake area I would think the crack shown could be welded if its not too deep. 

2 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

It is probably just semantics but I would consider the machined surface as the outside surface and I think the possibility of repair is dependant on how deep that crack goes into the port.  Is it just on the surface or much deeper inside? 

Also, where is the second crack that was mentioned? 

One can only speculate on a cause. Faulty casting or overheating possibly due to a stuck heat riser valve? But since its not in the intake area I would think the crack shown could be welded if its not too deep. 

Look close, both cracks are at the bottom of that same port. Then one on the right is nasty looking. 

• Thanks 1

If you want, a Cyl head post a picture of the casting number and I will look in my treasure trove. I have a few 53 engines’ I also just purchased another one that I need to retrieve in the next few weeks.  The blocks are 53 for sure, I am unsure on the Cyl heads at this point.  I am in Oregon and I have used   Fastenal freight service not the fastest but it will save money.  These are cores and will need reworked, I can have them tanked and magnafluxed if they are correct, if you  want one.   I have not thought about price yet.

Steve  

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, after much thought, the cracks do not appear to be in a high stress area. If I'm not mistaken the port is the exhaust crossover between heads. Once the heat riser opens there should be less exhaust flow through the crossover. I have no idea if the heat riser was stuck or not, it was moving freely when I pulled the exhaust manifolds. I'm considering drilling the ends of the cracks, cleaning the cracks, notching the cracks and filling the cracks with JB Weld. Never used the stuff before but the reviews I've seen of the original product look good. The key to a successful repair is stop the cracks from growing and make sure everything is clean. Other than these PITA cracks, the heads are in very good condition. Valves and valve seats are are also in very good condition. One thing I noticed though is there are no stem seals used.... I have seen the seals are available but my concern is the lack of room to install seals with the dual springs used. Any thoughts or comments. As a side note, I decided to pull the engine and do a thorough inspection and cleaning, I'm this far into it and my original goal is/was to make this car a reliable cruising driver. I'll let y'all know how it all turns out. Cruisin' the Coast 2018 may be another spectator event.....  As another side note, I forgot how easy it is to pull an engine out of a classic!!!!! Also I am located in Baton Rouge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just wonder why Buick owners only use 322 to lockate parts ,there are a lot of different parts on 322 from 1953 to 1956!!!!!!!!!!!! Use the year and model too,to get the right parts for your 322 engine!1953=164Hp  1954 =182Hp   1955=236Hp   1956 255 Hp  of course there must be some parts that are different.

http://www.buicks.net/shop/reference/nailhead_casting_numbers.html

Leif in Sweden.

Edited by Leif Holmberg (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1