59 pontiac fouling plugs

Madandy

I have a 59 Pontiac Bonneville tripower,  all original.  Keeps fouling plugs. I am using 93 octane with a 108 octane boost to eliminate pinging, but it fouls plugs. Any ideas on how to make my classic car operate correctly?

Are you getting smoke out the tailpipe?

Blue smoke after warm-up indicates oil getting past the piston rings and/or valve stem seals

Black smoke after warm-up indicates incorrect carburetion with a "Too-Rich" mixture - possibly a stuck or mis-adjusted choke, or blocked air cleaner/carb passages

Wet spark plugs may mean too much fuel into the cylinders, but if the plugs are oily, that is a separate issue

The lead additive may be causing it esp if you're seeing heavy white or grayish deposits on the electrode and insulator.

I have a 1963 Oldsmobile Tech Bulletin addressing spark plug lead fouling on Starfire engines. To wit: Starfire engines normally came with AC R43 plugs which are a little on cold heat range side. If these engines were subjected to a lot of low speed operation, the 43 had a tendency to lead foul. Factory recommendation for this condition was to use AC R44 which is one heat range hotter and would burn off the deposits before the plug fouled. 

Or you could just use yer high-performance engine for what it was intended...  ?

You're sure those end carbs are shutting off when not in use and not letting excess fuel thru? 

If condition continues, I'd be inclined to replace points/condenser with a Pertronix ignition, get a slightly more powerful coil and open the plug gaps up to about .040. All hidden and no one will know it's there except you and whoever installed it.

• Like 1