DA Bottom Door Seal

The bottom of the doors of a Budd bodied DA (and probably Victories) I believe should have a door seal. I was intending to use flat rubber (Neoprene) that I have on hand. It would appear to be held to the inside of the door using metal straps secured with self tappers. Is this correct and if so, how far does the rubber protrude below the metal strap?

Was going to go by trial and error, but if someone can point me in the right direction, so much the better.

Thanks, John.

DSC02410m.thumb.jpg.44a635531b1c7bbc7e78c0f1bcb0745c.jpg

My DA Victoria does not have what you are describing on the bottom of the door.  However, there are dried out rubber seals on the top of the doors similar to your description.  I've been looking for suitable replacements for a long time without any luck so far. 

Here are some alternatives. This door bottom seal about the fifth one down for Model As may do the trick....https://www.google.com/search?q=Model+A+windshield+rubber+strip&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjq173Gi8DcAhXhT98KHdYTDJAQsxgIJg&biw=1056&bih=520

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. I have seen rubber on other DAs, but it was so old, shrivelled up and broken as to be useless. Bob, your photo has given me a good idea of the size, so will work from that. This also jogged my memory and I realise that you had posted the photo before, and there is also some info on the upper seals in the thread posted by Manuel in 2015 titled “DA door seals”, but I am not smart enough to be able to provide the actual link here.

3 hours ago, Bullfrog_eng said:

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. I have seen rubber on other DAs, but it was so old, shrivelled up and broken as to be useless. Bob, your photo has given me a good idea of the size, so will work from that. This also jogged my memory and I realise that you had posted the photo before, and there is also some info on the upper seals in the thread posted by Manuel in 2015 titled “DA door seals”, but I am not smart enough to be able to provide the actual link here.

Whenever you want to add a link:

Go to the link.

Right click in the title box and hit "COPY".

Go to where you want to post the link.

Right click and hit, "PASTE".

The link should show up.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Bullfrog_eng said:

Here's Manuel's post 

I made a start on this job today as my doors are a little gappy down low. I used 3mm ,1/8 flat rubber for the job and just cut it to shape. I definitely sealed the lower gap up a little. I got the front and rear door done and will hopefully do the other side tomorrow. I’ve brought my rubber up a bit higher just to fill the gap I have on the lower part of the door. Maybe not to original specs but I think it works ok. 

848B199A-2785-43A5-9138-94A689D1EEDD.jpeg

0F609FC4-42FA-499D-A7AB-391A6B93896E.jpeg

74B44236-FBF0-4053-9A28-9889C18E6B9B.jpeg

Looks great. How wide did you make the rubber, in other words,. how far does it extend below the metal strip?

Looks like you glued as well as screwed?

I have been working on the door and window top rubbers today and got it finished with only a few hiccups, one of which was totally my fault and I have been kicking myself ever since, but I had enough rubber to get away with the mistake (JUST!!). Let's just say it helps if you punch holes in the correct place!!!

I have not got as much rubber on hand for the bottoms as I thought, so will leave it for a week or so until I can get to Adelaide to get some more. Nothing suitable locally. No shortage of things to go on with though.

I glued just the top vertical piece above the screws. I have a bit of a gap down there so I just extended it up a bit. It hangs down about 15mm. You can see in one pic there it just touches the sill. 

I have a full square metre of rubber so PM me your postal address and I’ll cut 4 more and post them out to you. I made a template so it’s easier to cut without the rubber moving to much. You can then just trim the vertical piece to suit yours. 

• 2 weeks later...