Where to buy parts online?

Rusty_OToole

Rock Auto has been real good for me. I have been using them for about 6 years pretty regular.now.

Most recently I replaced my '86 Park Ave fuel pump, formed lines, and rear rubber fuel hoses for around $200. I was happy to find it all without cobbling pieces together.

Prior to computer days it would have been hard to gather all that together. AND I usually have a choice of price levels. No complaints with the items, friendly knowledgeable help if I call, and  quick shipping. I go there first.

You write you have had good experiences in the past and are now hearing things. If you have been associating with grumpy old farts it could be them. What did they tell you?

Bernie

By the way, I drive Buicks so I really don't spend that much time working on my cars, just the odd proactive projects. But I dfon't let my ol' tools get rusty!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have had excellent service from Rock Auto, good price, quality products and quick delivery. Have bought parts for Saab, Honda, and Nissan, never a hitch. I'm not a fan of posters using this site to settle their beef with a supplier.

2 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

I have had excellent service from Rock Auto, good price, quality products and quick delivery. Have bought parts for Saab, Honda, and Nissan, never a hitch. I'm not a fan of posters using this site to settle their beef with a supplier.

It's also not allowed here, but I don't think that is what is happening. I think Rusty just wants good hints on who to get parts from.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I probably average a package a week from RockAuto.  My only complaint is that their on-line catalog is flawed (as are most vendors' catalogs as far as Oldsmobile parts are concerned). I always research correct part number first through multiple sources before ordering, and often I order by P/N, not application. Of course there's the shipping cost issue. I always compare delivered price from RA, Amazon, and local dealers and pick the cheapest. Here in the mid-Atlantic, NAPA sucks.  Even when I spend time researching which of their stores has the item I need in stock, when I actually go there it isn't in stock.  They could not care less that the database is wrong ("not my responsibility"}. Unless I need the part TODAY and am willing to drive all over creation to find a store with one, I'll have parts delivered to my doorstep instead.

I want to mention Amazon as well. I needed new brake backing plates for my 1999 Chevy dually.  NAPA was 50% more expensive than the on-line vendors, but at least they had no hope of getting them anytime soon. Amazon Prime free shipping made the total less than RA, but one of the two got lost in shipment.  Customer service was great, but it took an extra week to get the part because of this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joe_padavano said:

I probably average a package a week from RockAuto.  My only complaint is that their on-line catalog is flawed (as are most vendors' catalogs as far as Oldsmobile parts are concerned). I always research correct part number first through multiple sources before ordering, and often I order by P/N, not application. Of course there's the shipping cost issue. I always compare delivered price from RA, Amazon, and local dealers and pick the cheapest. Here in the mid-Atlantic, NAPA sucks.  Even when I spend time researching which of their stores has the item I need in stock, when I actually go there it isn't in stock.  They could not care less that the database is wrong ("not my responsibility"}. Unless I need the part TODAY and am willing to drive all over creation to find a store with one, I'll have parts delivered to my doorstep instead.

I want to mention Amazon as well. I needed new brake backing plates for my 1999 Chevy dually.  NAPA was 50% more expensive than the on-line vendors, but at least they had no hope of getting them anytime soon. Amazon Prime free shipping made the total less than RA, but one of the two got lost in shipment.  Customer service was great, but it took an extra week to get the part because of this.

Against my will (reluctant old car princess), this is my experience and the advice I’d give. 

I have found that some of the local retailers will match Rock Auto or other online vendor pricing (including shipping) if you are a regular customer.

They can't always say "yes", but my local Auto Value store will usually match the delivered price.

I have a question about Rock Auto's warehouse system.

I'll go online to buy the part I really need and find out what the freight is and what warehouse the part is coming from [warehouse A]. I will then order other parts I will need down the line always trying to stay with warehouse A [and trying not to raise my freight cost. I will then get to a point on my order where the next part I order will still be warehose A but the part I want will then be switched to warehouse B. I then have to cancel that last part and once again that original part goes back to being shipped from warehouse A. How does that happen and how do I get around it?

I usually go to Rock Auto first.  Never had a bad experience with them.  Once they sent the wrong part, and I entered the info online.  A rep called me within an hour, and shipped the correct part out to me same day, without waiting for the return.  Locally, I like the NAPA store.  There are a couple of older guys working the counter there who bend over backwards to help find the right part.  When the computer doesn't produce results,  they have the old paper catalog archives for backup.  Can't say enough good about them, either.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

I have a question about Rock Auto's warehouse system.

I'll go online to buy the part I really need and find out what the freight is and what warehouse the part is coming from [warehouse A]. I will then order other parts I will need down the line always trying to stay with warehouse A [and trying not to raise my freight cost. I will then get to a point on my order where the next part I order will still be warehose A but the part I want will then be switched to warehouse B. I then have to cancel that last part and once again that original part goes back to being shipped from warehouse A. How does that happen and how do I get around it?

I've noticed this as well.  RA claims to have an algorithm that does this to optimize shipping cost for the lowest amount.  I have not personally tracked the numbers and compared when this does happen. I certainly try to pick parts that ship together, but it doesn't always work. Keep in mind that shipping costs can vary based on weight and size, not just location. A really clever algorithm can optimize around package size limits as well.

I only had one problem with an order from Rock Auto. I ordered a heater blower motor and when it arrived it was packed in a cardboard box and no internal packaging. I found that I needed to return it and the return was refused because I did not have the part specific box.  They did not believe me that it did not come with one. We went round and round and I finally requested MY motor back. Quiet for a few days and then a "Good Faith" adjustment was made. I assume that they could not find the motor to send back to me. I have ordered since with no further problems.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)
  • Like 1

What I often do is use Google Shopping search.  Sometimes I'll find vendors that way that I never would  have found otherwise.

One example, when I was searching for quarter panel repair panels for my '92 Ford Truck I couldn't find anything reasonably priced.   Places were asking like $75 just for a small panel that only covers the top of the wheel.  That's really all I needed, but I didn't want to pay $75 for such a small panel.   So I used Goggle Shopping Search and found the same panels for $16 each.   That about floored me.   I figured that can't be right.   But I clicked on it and went to the vendor which was Summit Racing.   And sure enough they offered these very panels for $16 a piece.  The only catch was that I had to pay shipping.   However they have free shipping on orders over $100, so I bought some other parts I needed anyway from them, also at pretty decent prices.

At first I was a bit scared that the $16 panels might not be what I expected.   But when they came they were exactly as I had hoped and they fit the truck perfectly.   It only cost me $32 for the two panels.  Plus $70 worth of other parts I needed anyway.  So I made out big time.    At $75 a piece from other people I would have had $150 just in the two truck panels.  So Summit Racing got a big thumbs up from me. 

I can't speak to all their parts.  But they sure were a great deal on those quarter panel repair panels.

Here's before and after pictures of the panel installation:

Before:

100_1901.thumb.JPG.bcf64e94a5f8bed727c2400df2e07dd7.JPG

After:

100_1902.thumb.JPG.4e0d6231dbc849b323cbd0c58282b69f.JPG

Can't beat that for a $16 repair job!

All thanks to a Google Shopping Search.

I have bought from Rockauto before with no complaints. Today I searched for their site (don't have it bookmarked) and among other things this video turned up. His beef is that they sent a door handle without the keeper for the rod, the handle failed in an hour, his customer was ticked, and Rockauto has NO customer service department and won't do anything to help, except he can send the part back and wait for another one.

I have seen other complaints on other web sites I won't go into. As I live in Canada the hassle and expense of ordering online is greater, and the chance of getting satisfaction if they mess up practically nil. So I would prefer to use the most reliable supplier and of course, price is an issue too.

So, I asked for suggestions. Those who know me, know I have answered over 10,000 questions for others, many of them long involved technical explanations. I think this may be the second time I have asked for help since I have been on here. I leave it to you if I am asking too much.

16 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

His beef is that they sent a door handle without the keeper for the rod, the handle failed in an hour, his customer was ticked, and Rockauto has NO customer service department and won't do anything to help, except he can send the part back and wait for another one. 

It seems to me that this is then their policy.   It's wrong to say that they have NO customer service.  They have customer service, and that service is that you need to return to part to obtain another one.  That's it.

It seems to me that a person either accepts this policy or rejects it.  Why make out like the company is failing to honor a customer service policy that they never offered to anyone?

As far as I can see this is just wrongful complaining.  

Now if Rock Auto had promised quick customer service and then failed to provide it I can see the beef.

But I don't see the beef here when the company never promised the kind of service that is being demanded of it.

Is it really fair to demand a service the company never offered?

I'm mean we're certainly all entitled to our opinions, but i have no problem offing my opinion that if they didn't offer quick customer service, then complaining that they don't have it doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

It would be entirely different if they promised quick customer service and then failed to keep that promise.  But I just don't see that being the case here.

Edited by AntiqueCraftsman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I deal regularly with Summit and NAPA.  I'm in Florida, so things that ship from Summt's Georgia warehouse usually arrive in two days.  Their customer service (real English-speaking people) is good.  As to NAPA, I usually go to their on line site, find the part number, then call my local store.  If they don't have it, they can have it by 0700 the next day.  I recommend both Summit and NAPA.  Oh, by the way, my local NAPA store has VERY knowledgeable counter guys.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AntiqueCraftsman said:

It seems to me that this is then their policy.   It's wrong to say that they have NO customer service.  They have customer service, and that service is that you need to return to part to obtain another one.  That's it.

It seems to me that a person either accepts this policy or rejects it.  Why make out like the company is failing to honor a customer service policy that they never offered to anyone?

As far as I can see this is just wrongful complaining.  

Now if Rock Auto had promised quick customer service and then failed to provide it I can see the beef.

But I don't see the beef here when the company never promised the kind of service that is being demanded of it.

Is it really fair to demand a service the company never offered?

I'm mean we're certainly all entitled to our opinions, but i have no problem offing my opinion that if they didn't offer quick customer service, then complaining that they don't have it doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

It would be entirely different if they promised quick customer service and then failed to keep that promise.  But I just don't see that being the case here.

His beef is they no longer have a customer service department that you can call, he finds this unacceptable, therefore he is taking your advice and not buying from them anymore. As a public service he made this video to warn others, I took the warning to heart, and now I am asking where do you guys find is the best place to buy parts online? I am NOT complaining, I have NO INTENTION of complaining, I am looking for a vendor that will not cause me to complain. I hope this is clear.

In the same vein, I did a search for some (off topic) parts this afternoon. Found a web site I was not familiar with that has parts. Called their help line to ask ' are you in the US or Canada? If in the US do you ship to Canada' . The little girl who answered the phone informed me she was in the Philippines and the company's headquarters was in California and their warehouse in Illinois. This plus the web site, which was almost impossible to use, and obviously built by a guy who knew nothing about cars, car repairs or selling things but loves pretty pictures, was enough to convince me to go elsewhere. Then I got the brilliant idea of tapping into the thousands of years of car fixing, and parts buying experience wrapped up on this site.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

I went into Car Quest to see about some foreign parts, brake caliper seals, because if they had them on the shelf it would have been better for me than ordering online and waiting for them.

Guess what? To see if they could get the parts for me, they went onto the Rock Auto website. They did not have them on hand, but if Rock Auto had them, then they could get them for me.

They said they regularly do that, and many other auto parts stores do as well. Rock Auto is like the Amazon of auto parts. They use the Rock Auto search, to look up makes and models, reference correct parts, and see what is available from different suppliers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

I am NOT complaining, I have NO INTENTION of complaining

Perhaps not.  But you did post a video of someone who was complaining. ?

It's certainly not my intention to get into a debate about it.   Did the company offer quick customer service at one point in time and change their policy?  If so, I can have sympathy for that.   Especially if the company didn't notify its customers of the policy change.

All I'm saying is that I didn't see the reaction to the company to be warranted from the information presented.

I can see where someone who is in an auto repair business would want to have quick customer support.  That's certainly understandable.  And I wouldn't blame a person in that situation to move to a different supplier.   But I just don't see the need to complain (as the man in the video you posted) about the company when it doesn't appear to be the companies policy to provide quick customer service.

That's all I'm saying.

But yeah, if you need quick customer service, then by all means, seek a vendor that provides quick customer service.  That only makes sense.   I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for doing that.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time on this.  I just didn't see the justification for the rant in the video you posted.  That's all.

I'm just expressing my perception of things.  Not intended to pass judgment on anyone.   This incident wouldn't prevent me from ordering parts form Rock Auto because I'm willing to accept their return-first policy.  But if I needed fast customer service in a repair business I'd probably order those parts elsewhere.   I might end up having to pay more for them too though.  That's something to consider as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

I went into Car Quest to see about some foreign parts, brake caliper seals, because if they had them on the shelf it would have been better for me than ordering online and waiting for them.

Guess what? To see if they could get the parts for me, they went onto the Rock Auto website. They did not have them on hand, but if Rock Auto had them, then they could get them for me.

They said they regularly do that, and many other auto parts stores do as well. Rock Auto is like the Amazon of auto parts. They use the Rock Auto search, to look up makes and models, reference correct parts, and see what is available from different suppliers.

I've had reliable parts stores that were unable to produce tiny parts for a particular item.   They also usually require that the old part be returned before handing over another one.  Or you buy the new part, and take the old part back later.  But that probably could have been done with Rock Auto too.  It probably wasn't the auto parts store that was at fault for the tiny part being missing from the package anyway.   That was more than likely the fault of the manufacturer of the part.

for what Rock Auto charges, very hard to compare. they are often the cheapest, so you get what you pay for.

NAPA on the other hand has great parts and yes, you will pay for them.

all comes down to what you want to spend............

I have done very well on ebay, because many of these co's list there.

46 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

for what Rock Auto charges, very hard to compare. they are often the cheapest, so you get what you pay for.

I was just going to say ebay as well. I will do my research on what parts I need and then go to ebay and see if I can get a part there. My best example is my wife's 2010 Buick Enclave withe the heated/A/C seats went bad. Replacement parts were very expensive through all the places listed above, but I found OEM "close outs" on Ebay and saved about 75%.

Also on occasion have found NOS for my Reattas there...

• Like 1

I always check Rock Auto, eBay, and Amazon.  Most recently it was for a window regulator for my wifes car, a 2002 Acura.  I did my research and used Rock Auto this time.  Sometimes one might be cheaper, while another has a better quality part/warranty.  Never had a problem with any of them really.

Amazon gives you the best customer feedback on the part.

eBay gives you used and new options most of the time.

Rock Auto often has a variety of new options that are easily sortable on one screen.

One other rule for me--I never buy anything on eBay without looking for product customer reviews on Amazon first.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, capngrog said:

Oh, by the way, my local NAPA store has VERY knowledgeable counter guys.

Consider yourself lucky.  I went to my local NAPA to have brake drums turned and they looked at me like I had three heads.  I went to all FOUR NAPA stores within an hour drive of my house, and only one of them even deals with turning drums or rotors anymore, and they would have to send it out, making it a multi-day operation. For this reason I now own a brake lathe.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

I have bought from Rockauto before with no complaints. Today I searched for their site (don't have it bookmarked) and among other things this video turned up. His beef is that they sent a door handle without the keeper for the rod, the handle failed in an hour, his customer was ticked, and Rockauto has NO customer service department and won't do anything to help, except he can send the part back and wait for another one.

I have seen other complaints on other web sites I won't go into. As I live in Canada the hassle and expense of ordering online is greater, and the chance of getting satisfaction if they mess up practically nil. So I would prefer to use the most reliable supplier and of course, price is an issue too.

So, I asked for suggestions. Those who know me, know I have answered over 10,000 questions for others, many of them long involved technical explanations. I think this may be the second time I have asked for help since I have been on here. I leave it to you if I am asking too much.

I just sat down for lunch and took time to watch this. Sorry, no affect on me. Each interaction is a two way learning experience. Here is my most frequent reply.

"Don't take this personally. I am just basing my action on those whom came before."

And there is something in the tone of that guy's voice that, if I didn't see him, would make me imagine a rubber stamp on his forehead.

Bernie

• Like 1

Oh, I forgot. When I was very active on Ebay, Canada was the only place in the world I excluded from sales. I wasn't setting shipping or border fees. I know I shipped a bunch of stuff to Washington State that got smuggled across the border, some with very comical stories when I found out.

3 hours ago, capngrog said:

My NAPA store, in Umatilla, Florida turns both drums and rotors. 

And yes Joe, I consider myself lucky in MANY ways. 

Cheers,

Grog

Obviously NAPA franchises are privately owned and managed, with the variability in service that brings. Unfortunately, my local NAPA yet again demonstrated why I rarely use them. I needed a replacement wiper motor for my truck. This is a Chevy pickup, certainly not something rare or esoteric. Checked on line and the website says the local store has a rebuilt one on the shelf.  Go there this morning, get the part, pay for it, and I notice that it doesn't look like the one on my truck. 

ME: This doesn't look like the one on my truck

HIM: That's what the computer says it is.

ME: This is the non-delay wiper motor, the delay motor has a circuit board on it.

HIM:  That's what the computer says it is.

ME: Well, the BOX may be the one the computer says, but this one doesn't look like the picture.

After several minutes consulting with the other counter person, they decide that they can order the correct one.  Autozone did have the right one in stock. I should add that the NAPA rebuilt part looked like it had been rebuilt by a three year old. The Cardone rebuilt part I got from Autozone at least looks like it was done properly.

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Oh, I forgot. When I was very active on Ebay, Canada was the only place in the world I excluded from sales. I wasn't setting shipping or border fees. I know I shipped a bunch of stuff to Washington State that got smuggled across the border, some with very comical stories when I found out.

Do you mind me asking why you won't ship to Canada? So far as I know the only difference is you paste a green sticker on it at the post office.

10 hours ago, mercer09 said:

One thing in particular that I think is a plus for Rock Auto is that they show the manufacturer/supplier of each part option.   So if you want to stick with OEM branded parts, you have that choice, and if you want to save money with a rebuilt or aftermarket piece, you can do that as well.  It is all very transparent, and you get to shop and compare yourself.

• Like 2

I've had good luck with Rock Auto.  I bought the majority of the parts for two cars' mechanical refurbishments from them.  The first was a 1961 Bel Air and the second was a 1965 Impala.  Our local NAPA stores are also good at finding parts for older cars.  I've also bought a few parts on ebay - no complaints so far.  

14 hours ago, mercer09 said:

Really? How is a Moog suspension part from NAPA any "greater" than one I buy from RockAuto, or Amazon, or anywhere else.  FYI, check country of origin next time you buy those "great" parts. They all come from China, Mexico, India, etc.  I was surprised that the premium Wagner brake shoes I just bought are from Mexico. The Delco heater control valve I got from a GM dealer is also Mexico.  The NAPA premium brand brake drums that I paid dearly for were Chinesium and out of round right out of the box. Doesn't matter where you buy the parts, they are sourced globally.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

Joe,

I have bought "new" starters from NAPA vs rebuilt from Rock Auto

you get what you pay for. All parts are not equal.

obviously that is what we are talking about here...........

No, that is not "obviously" what we are talking about here. How does comparing a new starter with a rebuilt one mean anything? 

I can get brand new or rebuilt items from either vendor.  You can get crappy rebuilt parts from NAPA just as easily as you can get them from an on-line vendor, and you can get brand new, brand name parts from either source as well.  Tell me again why I should pay MORE for the exact same part from a local store vs. what that part costs me delivered to my door step (especially when I factor in gasoline costs plus my time to drive to the parts store at least twice)?  How is that part "better" just because I paid more for it?  If you have too much money, feel free to overpay. I'm cheap.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 2