Engine Temp for 6 cylinder

When I took my Victory 6 for a decent drive yesterday (3hrs) the hottest it got was around 140-150f. Is this a little cool , I like to see engines running around 180f / 80c at least. Up a good long hill it may of crept up 5-10f. I was pretty impressed with that. It was only around 15c outside all day.  What temp do your cars run at?  

I’m not sure if it’s running a thermostat or not, I’ve just received my new hoses from Myers so when I change them I’ll have a look. As Sactownog said it’s ok on the cool day, I’ll see how it goes on a hot one. Ide prefer to run a thermostat because they slow the coolant down traveling through the radiator and help it cool a lot better. 

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to doing the thermostat today and found it didn’t have one as I thought. I put a  180 in it and it now sits around the 190 mark. The car runs a lot better at the higher temp. Although I did put new plugs , distributor cap and rotor button in aswell. 

I’ll see how it goes through the summer I might go back to a 160 as Ron & J Franklin suggested. It has a lot better low down power now when accelerating. Got to 45 today with ease where before it struggled. 

My Pontiac came from the factory with a 160 thermostat.  When I started driving it in 1959 I put in a 180 and when I overhauled the engine in the 70's I went to a 195.  I feel that the engine runs better (and doesn't overheat) and has done so for over 300,000 miles.

6 hours ago, David_Leech said:

Where did you install the thermostat? Between the head and upper rad hose? It looked like one could go there. What thermostat did you use?

Yes that’s spot on David, that’s where it goes. I used a Tridon 

TT1-180.. 54mm. You could use any up to 56mm maximum. 

ACCD08A7-AFE0-4E10-9457-FB69DEF3DDFF.jpeg

For what it's worth, the thermostat housing = head outlet neck would probably have been on the engine when it was painted, so would have been engine colour?

Is there a little hole in the thermostat to let air and a tiny bit of water through? Mine had an air lock under the thermostat until I drilled a little hole in it; the thermostat didn't get warm enough to open.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

For what it's worth, the thermostat housing = head outlet neck would probably have been on the engine when it was painted, so would have been engine colour?

Is there a little hole in the thermostat to let air and a tiny bit of water through? Mine had an air lock under the thermostat until I drilled a little hole in it; the thermostat didn't get warm enough to open.

Yer it’s got the little bleeder hole with a lose rivet in it. The thermostat housing was green but got a bit chipped up when I removed it. I painted it with 2pak so didn’t feel like mixing up a tiny little bit to touch it up on Sunday when I fitted it. So the satin black had to do. Lol. If I’m painting anything else that colour I’ll probably touch it up as I agree with you it did look better green. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, RichBad said:

Hi Matt, what paint did you use for your engine?  Looks pretty good and I’m hoping to get mine done shortly.

cheers

I used a 2pak that I mixed up out of some paint I had. There is enough left that you can have. I’ve painted my other engine. I’m going down your way to pick up my nickel platting next week so I can drop it off. 

If you need someone to paint it drop it off here and I’ll put a coat on it for you. 

• Like 1

Thanks Matt - and thanks for the call today, sorry I didn't answer had both hands full carrying my block across the engine shop - at last (it's only taken them a year)!  If you're happy to paint it that would be Awesome as I'd have to find someone anyway.  Would be happy to pay for your time!  I've had the block and head hot tanked but need to give them a good wire brush and de-grease which I'm hoping to get done tomorrow.  Who did you use for your Nickel?

7 hours ago, RichBad said:

Thanks Matt - and thanks for the call today, sorry I didn't answer had both hands full carrying my block across the engine shop - at last (it's only taken them a year)!  If you're happy to paint it that would be Awesome as I'd have to find someone anyway.  Would be happy to pay for your time!  I've had the block and head hot tanked but need to give them a good wire brush and de-grease which I'm hoping to get done tomorrow.  Who did you use for your Nickel?

Can’t believe you didn’t throw the block over your shoulder to answer the phone. Hahahah 

That will be no problem to spray that for you , I don’t want to be paid for it. I’m using the guys at modern platting in West Heidelberg. They were recommended by a couple of other platting places for our sort of stuff. They are good guys they have stripped all the old nickel and have let me prep it all to save some money. It should be all ready next week with a bit of luck. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, RichBad said:

Awesome, thanks!  I used modern plating but in Oakleigh (not sure if it’s the same bunch) but was really impressed.  Good quality, quick, no fuss and very good price.

Yes the same mob I was thinking of antiquetyres address sorry Richard. Yes they’re in Oakleigh. I’m glad to hear your happy with them as well. 

I did about 220km today in the dodge running my daughter and her husband around for their first wedding anniversary. Lunch & movies ect. 

She went perfectly and ran just above 180 all day.  

• Like 1