63-65 Custom Armrest Reproduction

gungeey

Apparantly there is a $$$Pricey repop out there, mine was cracked apart, I was fortunate enough to come across this one.

Once it goes on the door it's not coming off.

Is there any expertise regarding the process of reproducing these? If so, what might a minimum run be and the cost for the project?

Size is a roughly 16" by 5" by 3" deep

Just a thought.. Steve9236

armrest1.jpg

armrest2.jpg

armrest3.jpg

Edited by gungeey
grammar (see edit history)

Stay far away from the repops from opgi.  Complete garbage.  I can't believe they even had the balls to offer those.  I had one customer buy one set, and after seeing them, I refused to put them on.  Would require substantial reconstruction to work, if at all.

3 minutes ago, Scott Mckenzie said:

Keep what you have ,repair and repaint. 5 min. epoxy ,or cyanoacrylate (crazy glue) reinforce the cracks on the backside with fiberglass matt and glue . Flip it over  ,body filler over any imperfections. Paint to match. 

Been there, done that.  I used the fiberglass mat on the back side and rather than mixing up resin, I used two part epoxy and worked it around with a body putty spreader.  On the front, I used the cyanoacyrlate in the crack. Sanded it and used the sanding dust with some more super glue to fill in the crack.  Sanded it again and painted it.  That panel is probably stronger than it was originally.

• Like 1

I don't need to fix it, this one is perfect I was asking if anyone knew particulars of making a batch of them with this one as a template.

My brother in laws neighbor is going to make a dozen, will see if there's a calling for them, Steve 

Is it entirely hidden by trim or exposed?  Is it just plastic or sheet metal (not sure if that is rust or simply dirt)?  I've taken my door panels off, but I can't quite visualize which part this is exactly, and the pics posted are blurry as hell. 

If its already plastic (and thus not high loads) and not exposed to the cabin, this is a perfect application for 3D printing.  If its metal, it looks like it could be reengineered as a sheet metal part.  I know of a few companies that do low-volume sheetmetal parts. 

Curious how much these are going for these days.

9 hours ago, gungeey said:

I don't need to fix it, this one is perfect I was asking if anyone knew particulars of making a batch of them with this one as a template.

My brother in laws neighbor is going to make a dozen, will see if there's a calling for them, Steve 

Is he making both sides?  What material is he using for production?

7 hours ago, Hazdaz said:

Is it entirely hidden by trim or exposed?  Is it just plastic or sheet metal (not sure if that is rust or simply dirt)?  I've taken my door panels off, but I can't quite visualize which part this is exactly, and the pics posted are blurry as hell. 

If its already plastic (and thus not high loads) and not exposed to the cabin, this is a perfect application for 3D printing.  If its metal, it looks like it could be reengineered as a sheet metal part.  I know of a few companies that do low-volume sheetmetal parts. 

Curious how much these are going for these days.

It's the base the pwr windows and seat latch onto in a custom interior, you may have the standard interior if so it doesn't apply, Steve

Back in the day these would have been injection moulded to get front and back (with all the support ribs) done in one go. The tool and die makers machine the mold . 3D printing would be interesting to see , I wonder about the cost but intrigued by the process. please  keep me posted.

4 hours ago, gungeey said:

It's the base the pwr windows and seat latch onto in a custom interior, you may have the standard interior if so it doesn't apply, Steve

Do I have a standard interior?

Went out there quick and still not sure which part this is.  At first I thought it was the armrest with the cut out to pull the door closed, but going out to the car, the parts don't look to match anything on the door at all.

IMG_20180728_122729128.jpg

54 minutes ago, Hazdaz said:

Do I have a standard interior?

Went out there quick and still not sure which part this is.  At first I thought it was the armrest with the cut out to pull the door closed, but going out to the car, the parts don't look to match anything on the door at all.

IMG_20180728_122729128.jpg

No, you have the deluxe interior.

The piece discussed is the one in the red triangle below …

IMG_20180728_122729128_jpg_187cc50f66964165a8a73c423190fa92.thumb.jpg.809f00dc4394164822c5a1747ed086ee.jpg

It is the piece below the switches.

Here is a clearer picture of it …

246098399_DSC02401(2).thumb.JPG.7328ce35747649ee725dba2ea6e72873.JPG

Oh!  Yeah, that pic helps a lot. 

So how much are they asking for that part? 

That's just the kind of part that could be printed.  The bigger issue is the vinyl wrap on it.  That part might be more complicated than 3D printing it (once its designed correctly, of course). 

IMG_20180728_150556896.jpg

They weren't wrapped when original, they were molded the color of the interior.

The one you show might have been damaged or changed or something previously, and then it was wrapped to cover up any problems?

• Like 1

So would the stock part be more like the trim piece between the rear seats below the speaker grill?  Mine is sheetmetal and painted a blue color close to the rest of the interior.  I almost think if this door piece was painted the same color, it might look better  - break up all the vinyl that is everywhere else. 

9 minutes ago, Hazdaz said:

So would the stock part be more like the trim piece between the rear seats below the speaker grill?  Mine is sheetmetal and painted a blue color close to the rest of the interior.  I almost think if this door piece was painted the same color, it might look better  - break up all the vinyl that is everywhere else. 

No, it isn't like the piece you're referring to, I believe that piece is metal and textured, and then painted/dyed the correct interior color.

Originally both pieces under the door handle and the switches was a molded plastic piece with a smooth finish to it. If both of yours are covered with vinyl they have been changed from what it was originally. So, originally there would be a break in the vinyl because those were smooth finished pieces to start.

That plastic piece along with the diecast part to which the switches are installed would NOT be present in a custom interior equipped car IF the car did not have power windows.  You would only have the arm rest with the large plastic piece under it.  The picture below is of a '63 with custom interior and manual windows.

Image result for 1964 Riviera factory door panel

1965 Passengers door panel with manual windows.

405164-34.jpg

Ed

I like the look with the extra piece.  I'd be down to measuring the piece up and modeling it up in CAD and making a prototype.  I see OPGI has them for almost $300 each side and you guys said they weren't even that good. 

Biggest problem being is that mine is obviously still on my car (and covered in vinyl so it would be more difficult to measure correctly) and I have other issues (stupid electrical!) I need taking care of first on the Riv that I can't be starting up another project right now.  If anyone is in the CT area and wants to lend me one, I can measure it up and go from there.

The "extra" piece is much more practical than putting the window switches on the door panel like was done on the cars that came equipped with standard interior and power windows.  As long as it's there and practical, it might as well look good. 

IMHO, I think the pieces look really rich covered in vinyl rather than just being painted. Covering mine might be another "tweak" to keep in mind for my 64..  The vinyl would also be a good way to cover less than perfect repairs.  

2 hours ago, Hazdaz said:

I like the look with the extra piece.  I'd be down to measuring the piece up and modeling it up in CAD and making a prototype.  I see OPGI has them for almost $300 each side and you guys said they weren't even that good. 

Biggest problem being is that mine is obviously still on my car (and covered in vinyl so it would be more difficult to measure correctly) and I have other issues (stupid electrical!) I need taking care of first on the Riv that I can't be starting up another project right now.  If anyone is in the CT area and wants to lend me one, I can measure it up and go from there.

I agree I think your interior is nicely done and in keeping with the original look, you probably have some cracking under there and that served as a simple remedy and "upgrade" for the prior owner... a win-win..

With all that said I will hand over the torch to you to get these made for the riv owners that might desire one, I would think this is the piece that would get the most stress of all of them, the long one behind it moistly hangs from the armrest. This V piece is the one everybody presses on with excessive pressure to get those old window switched to operate.

This way I can put my door panel back on my driver ( and DRIVE it) plus I dont have to lay out 900-1000 bucks and hope to recuperate... never did like the "HOPE PLAN"! 

All good news..I get to wrap up and drive tomorrow AM, Sounds good to me! Steve9236

1 hour ago, gungeey said:

With all that said I will hand over the torch to you to get these made for the riv owners that might desire one, I would think this is the piece that would get the most stress of all of them, the long one behind it moistly hangs from the armrest. This V piece is the one everybody presses on with excessive pressure to get those old window switched to operate.

Most of my experience with seeing ones that are cracked shows that they appear to be kicked with the left foot in order to open the door wider.  Pressure from above would not crack them down the middle, maybe across the top, but that large die cast piece is going to disperse pressure over a large surface.  Besides, the pressure you apply to the switches for the windows and the seats is for and aft, not down. 

I'll continue to repair them as they occur.  

Ed

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 7/27/2018 at 6:44 PM, gungeey said:

Hi, did your brother in laws neighbor eve make the deluxe arm rests for the 65 Rivi? I would be interested in a set for the driver and passenger side.

On 7/28/2018 at 9:21 PM, RivNut said:

The "extra" piece is much more practical than putting the window switches on the door panel like was done on the cars that came equipped with standard interior and power windows.  As long as it's there and practical, it might as well look good. 

IMHO, I think the pieces look really rich covered in vinyl rather than just being painted. Covering mine might be another "tweak" to keep in mind for my 64..  The vinyl would also be a good way to cover less than perfect repairs.  

Ed, you will not surprised when I tell you I have repaired the window control support piece. The plastic that has the screw holes were broken away. I replaced the plastic and drilled the hole for the screws. The part number reads 4876733 L. H.

image.jpg

image.jpg

15 hours ago, margozzi said:

Hi, did your brother in laws neighbor eve make the deluxe arm rests for the 65 Rivi? I would be interested in a set for the driver and passenger side.

Between these guys patching/gluing/bondoing theirs and the abundance of good used available, we passed.

I'll look for you, Margozzi, wait a minute...

(One minute passes)

Here ya go 50 bucks with shipping:

1965 1964 1963 Buick Riviera Deluxe interior Arm Rest | eBay

If I was a real pr!ck I'd buy it and sell it to you, right?

22 minutes ago, gungeey said:

Between these guys patching/gluing/bondoing theirs and the abundance of good used available, we passed.

(One minute passes)

You don’t know your materials. Mine is not bondo, glue, or anything like glue. My material is probably stronger than 60 year old plastic. Make a great buy. You lead the league in squeezing the Buffalo. $50.00 for original like one shown is too low, should be more.

17 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

You don’t know your materials. Mine is not bondo, glue, or anything like glue. My material is probably stronger than 60 year old plastic. Make a great buy. You lead the league in squeezing the Buffalo. $50.00 for original like one shown is too low, should be more.

I'll give the guy a 24hr head start, Bob. Then swoop down on it with a vengeance😃

His ads are also in the Riview under the same handle.  Everything I’ve purchased from Steve has been top quality. Steve also does excellent repairs on ‘65 headlight motors and gets your four note horns working again.  You’d be surprised at what he has for sale.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gungeey said:

(One minute passes)

If you were really smart ( and you did not know the other fellow) you’d buy it for $50.00 and resell in another channel for $100.00. I’m that smart, just not that hungry.

Turbinator

Just now, Turbinator said:

If you were really smart ( and you did not know the other fellow) you’d buy it for $50.00 and resell in another channel for $100.00. I’m that smart, just not that hungry.

Turbinator

I'm too poor to spend 50 bucks on that. I can buy glue and fiberglass and paint for $48😜

1 minute ago, gungeey said:

I'm too poor to spend 50 bucks on that. I can buy glue and fiberglass and paint for $48😜

Now, I know you don’t know your materials. $48.00 is way too much for the job. Really, the price for the item is always the seller’s prerogative to ask anything. The Marketplace channel is pain but they do buy and pay. EBay fees are mob related mentality. I sold a $1600 item I ended up giving eBay $224.00 of the deal-14%. Now that is stupid on my part.

16 hours ago, gungeey said:

SOLD!

On 7/24/2018 at 4:14 PM, gungeey said:

Once it goes on the door it's not coming off.

Careful on this piece. Having examined a few, I'm convinced the early '63s had a different angle for both sides and the chrome panel too (can be identified without a tab at the rear).

I did a bang up job repairing my broken panel with silver epoxy only to find it didn't fit! With the door card already in place and almost done, I forced it down with the top screw and noticed the plastic starting to crack and my panel repair went awry.

"Once the Door Card is on, it's not coming off!"

A little venting I know but, Riviera production back then!

Angle mismatch at the X:

image.png.511712136d1cd46daf9344fe315134f0.png

image.png.75a899b4eedefdce6b52ab6425a58b1d.pngimage.png.e805f4d49ed8a7b53dc27a785666fdb8.png