seat replace in 28 D. B.

trini

This question must have been posed many times but I am not able to find it. WHAT IS THE ORIGINAL PAINT CODE  OR COLOUR OF 1928 DODGE BROTHERS  ?.

The ends of the front seat of the 28  4 door sedan is curved towards the front. The back rest  frame is made of steel sheet. The seat is very high and tight to get in and out behind the steering wheel. Unless I am wearing a size 4 shoes  I must twist my feet sideways to get in and out. Have anyone modified the seat and backrest. Is it possible to replace the seat assembly with  2 individual adjustable seat ? I need some advice please.    Thank you.

trini

Since no one has answered, I will make a comment. I have a 29 Cad and a 26 Lincoln.

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??? 

Yeah, the distance between the door and the bottom of the seat is ridiculous(!) I have size 12 shoes and yes, I also have to turn my foot sideways and stick it in straight. 

I have had to teach myself to twist and contort just to get in. (especially without damaging anything)  I cannot just 'jump in and go'.  Although I have gotten quicker with practice.  Once inside, then there is enough room to be (reasonably) comfortable, but getting in and out is not at all like with my 1966 Mercury Parklane.  

Adjustable seats seems to be a late idea. They are fixed in the Lincoln. Cad introduced an adjustable seat as a new feature for 1929 but it aint much. 

Modifications? I will let the experts make a conclusive statement, but in the Lincoln (others?) the seat back seems to be a structural member of the body construction and any changes would not happen without a big investment in time and money.

Thank you, M-mman, You understand my problem. The backrest is shaped with sheet metal, curving inwards  towards the front like a " C ", The top of the backrest is screwed on to the center door jamb while the lower portion is screwed to the back of the box. Flip the seat up and there is the battery and a sheet metal tool box underneath. I took the upholstery apart, lots of horse hair padding and rusty  and out off shape springs. I think I will discard the springs and use foam but with the original style covers. Now, since I have that in mind It might be easy to re design  the box , eliminate the tool box and install a pair of adjustable seats. What you say s good advice. I will try and get used to it if I have to.   If I use foam on the seat it will be much lighter to flip up to check the battery. I might be able to narrow the seat a little since I have everything apart. In as much I would like to keep the car looking like original the front seat is the only thing , if at all, I will have to modify. I will also install a diode in line with  the generator output wire .  I would still like to know the paint code.

Thank you and have a good day.  

My 32 Dodge Brothers DL sedan has a seat like yours, but it's on runners and not attached to the center posts.  As you can see, the seat can be moved back quite a bit, but there still isn't a lot of room between the front of the seat and the door opening to get your feet in.

IMG_1383.thumb.jpg.be259c367a1dbd3179272c8c758ef0f3.jpg

I took my seat apart and remade the wooden bottom as the original had some dry rot and splits.

IMG_1923.thumb.jpg.003c9030c8f586c977dcb9e54d2c11e6.jpg

You can see the seat slider lever in this shot.

2.thumb.JPG.af98186cf1833f65a384c5c4a1c332fb.JPG

5.thumb.JPG.9317b37f34315814b9862297b41d4d0e.JPG

Get used to it, Trini.  I am 6 foot 5 and have size 13 shoes.  I am 71 years old and not as flexible as I once was.  The gap between the front of the non adjustable seat and the front door A pillar of my 27 Studebaker Dictator is about 9 inches so being a contortionist is pretty much part of life.  The non adjustable seat is positioned for someone shorter than I am so it is only a slight exaggeration to say that my knees are practically up by my ears when driving my car.?

Thank you very much for your advice, fellows. It feels good to know there are fellow members who are ready to help. The original color is a very dark green. with all the moss on it.  The code will help. I have to get used to the seat because I would like to keep the car all original or close to it. The coil springs are rusted and the horse hair padding are deteriorated in the front seat so I am planning to use foam. It is in pieces at present so that is the reason why I asked advice on modification. The rear seat assembly springs are fine. Just needs recovering . Taylormade, you have some beautiful pictures here. Thank you. I had this car, 1928 Dodge Senior in pieces and I am on the way back up. Hanging the doors are a challenge. The engine runs like new. I like this car because it has wood spokes and hydraulic brakes. A well designs car. easy to work on. Unfortunately I have no one to help me and I am doing it all alone at my own pace. Some times I wish I had more arms but I am doing fine. The wife does not know the difference between a screwdriver and a spanner, so there goes any help. I am 82 years old and working on this car has me physically fit and supple, bending ,twisting, climbing and lying on the creeper and getting up as any 70 year old. there are pieces  or strips of something like Bristol board between the sheet metal and wood in places, I assume it is used as anti squeak. Sourcing this is material is proving difficult. Thank you guys, have a nice day.