Rust removers: Evaporust vs. coca cola vs. 5% vinegar

Morgan Wright

Molasses 1 part, water 10 parts. Same active ingredients as the expensive brands. But $1 per litre. Non toxic but bit gross. Hence the gloves. Wash off with pressure washer dry and coat with desired rust covertor or primers.

evaporrust and other items non toxic use same ingredients without the grossness.

however cheap and I make large tub 100litre for $10. Throw wheels and anything you want rust removed from in and out like tubes etc.

eat the rust off does not remove paint or affect the steel, only the oxidising 

IMG_2641.JPG

IMG_2697.JPG

IMG_2701.JPG

IMG_2796.JPG

• Like 1

On 7/22/2018 at 1:30 AM, Spinneyhill said:

Leave it in the molasses a week or three.

Cover it too, 'else all the flying insects in your area will die in it, attempting to imbibe some.

Leave it in the molasses a week or three.

The molasses ferments to alcohol in a week or so, which turns to vinegar in about 1 more week.

No kidding.........Everybody knows this is how to make vinegar. Molasses is a cheap way to make huge amounts of vinegar.

Sugar doesn't remove rust.

Edited by Morgan Wright (see edit history)

I like evaporust.  Yes you can do it on the cheap,  but evaporust is also a great degreaser.  Use it to clean crusty looking pot metal chrome parts like door handles as well.  They will look like new and you don't ruin the plating trying to clean them like with steel wool,  plus it gets every nook and cranny frees them up nicely and cleans the plastic. 

I find overnight is enough to remove rust with a fresh batch. As the batch gets old and turns to vinegar stops working. 

Vinegar is good old as a converter but I haven't had any experience with vinegar removing oxide. I think it must be the sugars