Where are the 56 washer hoses located

56 Buick

I have been successful in getting the vacuum wipers working. Now I want to get the washers working.

The washer bottle assembly is all there and will discharge washer fluid but all I have is a hose coming off the washer bottle to nowhere. The end of the hose has always just been loose in the engine bay.

I cannot find where that hose should connect. In other words, I cannot find or see where the hoses are that lead

to the discharge nozzles on the wiper arms.

I can see there is a hole in the firewall where the other hoses/lines are going to the wiper control switch on the instrument panel, so I would assume the hoses I am looking for would be somewhere around that area on the inside of the firewall/under the dash?

At this stage I am either looking in the wrong spot or those hoses are not even there. Does anyone have any advice?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Drew

Those hoses are inside the car, under the dashboard , near the underside of the top.  You probably have to pull the top of the dashboard off to get to them.  they should come together at a "t" fitting inside the car, then the hose from the washer jar goes through and connects to the base of the "T" fitting. 

Thanks guys.  Now at least I know what I am looking for.

I am not as flexible as I used to be but I will persist. No luck yet so I am going to either have to take out all the duct work under the dash or come in from the top by removing the crash pad.

Careful consideration is needed before removing that duct work.  If it is the original stuff it becomes very brittle.  Often time it will unwrap when you disturb it. Or it will fold over at the ends when you try to reinstall it.

Removing the top of the 56 Dash is just a number of screws around the inside windshield trim, then under the front lip of the top itself, all of which can be reached while sitting on the seat, and then a slight tug towards the rear of the car and it's off. But plan your other contemplated repairs at the same time.  No point in pulling the top off numerous times if you have other things to do.  Need light bulbs in the gauges?  And replacing the wiper vacuum hoses to the switch?  Light compressed air to blow out the accumulated dust and dirt?   You know, the small things that just help make it a nicer car.

Although yours looks like it is pretty nice already,  you never know the level of restoration before you got it. 

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Update for anyone's future reference.

Definitely easier to take the crash pad off the top of the dash. Not that difficult but time consuming. You need to take off first the metal trim running down the A pillar and around the inside of the windscreen. Then you can get to the screws holding the crash pad.

Didn't actually help me find the washer hose t-piece as that appears to be hidden away being the duct junction box. Anyway as a workaround I have just laid all new washer line from the wiper bezels back to the washer bottle.

Of course to do this I had to have the crash pad removed.

• Like 1

I just did mine without removing the dash. You can see and reach the transmission on the driver side but the passenger side can be a pain. 

Well are they squirting now? The T you can probably get from a generic vacuum fitting kit. 

I am afraid there was just not enough room for my hands. Although I may have better luck now that I have had the crash pad off and have seen exactly how everything is configured.

Still not operating as yet. I have been stalled as the pipe on one of the windscreen wiper bezels was missing, presumably broken off, and I have to obtain another.

But yes in respect of the hose joiners I have been able to buy something generic from the auto store.