Transmission and rear end lube capacity?

I need to change the lube in my 28 standard six transmission and rear end. How much is generally required?

I will be using John Deere corn head grease. I'm local to a JD dealership and it suits my needs. It comes in standard grease tubes. How many tubes will be required?

2 hours ago, David_Leech said:

The question was not asking for recommendations on what to use, it was on the capacity of the components

The poster stated he was going to use Corn Head grease in his transmission and rear end.  Several of us questioned if this was a good idea.  We were not posting as know it alls or scolds, but as fellow car enthusiasts who were worried that this might cause problems.  If capacity was the only question, why post about what you were going to fill it with?  My 32DL also took a little over a quart in the tranny and half a quart in the differential.

52 minutes ago, Taylormade said:

The poster stated he was going to use Corn Head grease in his transmission and rear end.  Several of us questioned if this was a good idea.  We were not posting as know it alls or scolds, but as fellow car enthusiasts who were worried that this might cause problems.  If capacity was the only question, why post about what you were going to fill it with?  My 32DL also took a little over a quart in the tranny and half a quart in the differential.

This was to explain why I was asking for quantity of grease tubes required. I hope I'm not coming off sounding high and mighty on this, it is not the case. My choices here are too thin or too thick. It's not economical to import fluids cross border for me. Exchange rate, shipping, hazardous goods etc. 

Some guys over on the ford Barn were discussing this topic.  Here are several comments I found interesting.

I recently purchased a 1910 Kissel Car model D10 Toy Tonneau. I checked the transmission for oil. Someone had filled it with grease, and it looked to be like the sticky slimy corn head grease. The insides of the transmission case were coated with the stuff and I could still see all of the way to the dry bottom of the case. The grease had coated the walls of the transmission like stucco, and the gears had nothing on them. I scooped out all I could and brought the transmission up to its full level with 600W. What I could not scrape off eventually melted into the 600 W mix. Now the transmission is too full of oil and it is now leaking a sticky black goo out onto the floor. The transmission needs its 600W for proper lubrication. Anything heavier may not return to the gears fast enough for proper lubrication.

I have rethought the corn grease in trans, NOT GONNA HAPPEN. In goes 600 and be safe. I can see the foolish mistake of the grease being flipped off the gears and sticking to the case,and not lubing the gears. Well I will not be putting grease in Trans!confused.gif

What I'm looking at for availability is the issue. Not many places carry the super thick oil we need. Restoration supply is one of the few places, but in the USA. Now I try to import a hazardous fluid cross border and the shipping skyrockets. Duty on top of that and the exchange rate, that jug of oil just got mighty pricy.

Various other old equipment sites had discussed using corn head grease in old gearboxes and that video made it look pretty fluid.

Mine right now is full of a VERY thick semi fluid goo and I have been meaning to change it out for a while. I don't even know if it will drain out cold. 

I ended up finding 85W140 down the street for dirt cheap for a gallon from a decanted bulk drum. Going to use that to at least wash out the goo in my case right now. If it stays in the trans and doesn't leak out, I will run it. If it finds its way out every poorly sealed part, thicker will need to go in place

I agree Amazon Canada and Amazon USA are totally different breeds.

Any/every antique Ford parts place has 600W lube.

Or you can use and of these some of which are available anywhere but most require a larger purchase (ie: 5 or more gallons):

HYPOID Sae 250 Sae 140

Shell Dentax

Shell Valvata

Texaco Thabun 250

Texaco Meropa 680

Mobil 600W Cylinder oil

Lubriplate SPO 299

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/transoil-sae-250

Edited by Guest (see edit history)