AIR FRICTION SPEEDOMETER

RKAJFSAZ

It may have aeronautical provenance. Airspeed is essential information for flight, in general, FAR more important than ground speed.  Relative headwind plays an important part, sometimes beneficial as when a tailwind reduces it,  in the operation of our ancient crates with such high drag coefficients. Even more critical in the case of air cooled cars. Drivers of our beloved old junk should be particularly cautious when driving into headwinds. Operating at high intake manifold pressure (high torque output), under such conditions may lead to engine destruction. Slow way down driving into strong headwinds, and keep a close eye on temperature and oil pressure. Even on modern cars, maintaining EXCESSIVE  speed into EXTREME headwinds can be detrimental to engine health. Hmmmm.........    You know ? I think I want one of these air friction speedometers. Anybody have one for sale ?   -  Carl 

If I'm correct, air friction speedometer was a Tesla invention. The inner drum is directly connected to the cable/gear assemblage and the outer drum is on a light spring The outer drum has the numbers around its circumference. The air between the two drums makes the connection between them. Calibration is made by either drum height or the spring.

If the delicate aluminum drum (with the speed printed on it) gets distorted in any way by improper 

handling, the thing won't work (I have three like this).  Im surprised there's not an expert who repairs

these,  thought they were used in a lot of higher end cars, not just Franklins.  I think 1928 was the last

year they were used.

4 hours ago, Friartuck said:

If I'm correct, air friction speedometer was a Tesla invention. The inner drum is directly connected to the cable/gear assemblage and the outer drum is on a light spring The outer drum has the numbers around its circumference. The air between the two drums makes the connection between them. Calibration is made by either drum height or the spring.

Interesting that Tesla, renowned for his work with electricity and magnetism, would invent a air coupled mechanism for a speedometer.

No. Read the 1916 Scientific American article which Dr. Spinneyhill links in response #5 above. Very clever, sensitive device, with remarkable accuracy, even down to less than one mph ! The thing does not lose function at high altitude either. It was tested up to 10,000'.   -   Carl