Help Me ID These Traction Bars

Nicolas97338

Need Help . my uncle pass away a couple of months ago, and he lifted me tons  of car parts. im starting with these Traction Bars . i will posting more of what i have to help getting any info i can on what i have . i got tons of 1961 impala parts . and tons of other old/vintage parts. ;lots of vintage emblems .. different hub aps . just alot of stuff from different cars . i have no idea how to get info about what all i have.i know its very old and all in great shape . he had many hot rods in his life.  so i will be posting alot of pitues of what i have . i hope i can get some help ,    Very Sorry for my spelling. 

00h0h_d5QwtibII73_1200x900.jpg

00i0i_aWXsJciIBWI_1200x900.jpg

00k0k_8sZGmbm4ZNv_1200x900.jpg

00P0P_3SlcsCd7kg8_1200x900.jpg

00P0P_dmo9R9p0qbb_1200x900.jpg

00R0R_k0wRcZBKDUL_1200x900.jpg

00z0z_1qlnzdSYpwI_1200x900.jpg

00909_iW4q2LZM9Lw_1200x900.jpg

There were any aftermarket companies, offering a full array of speed parts in the late 1950's and 1960's. 

If your parts do not have a company logo, your only shot at identification is finding someone that has the same set in original packaging.

intimeold

• Like 1

These are after market bars for a leaf spring car. One end bolts under the spring to the two axle u bolts the other end the u bolt goes around the leafs toward the front so you can preload the bar. Most traction bars just had a rubber bumper at the front and was then hard to get a preload.  FYI ladder bars were for cars with coil springs,traction for leaf springs

• Like 1

Yes, aftermarket from probably the '60s. We all put them on our cars, (even though we didn't need them) because it turned your car into a "race car". There were several different styles available.

• Like 1

Believe me none of us were making any power. On of my friends put them on his '55 Chevy six that his father gave him, but he looked "cool".

If you had a first gen. Mustang and a V8 they were pretty well a must,  Even with an auto the wheel hop is alarming. With a standard V8 it is possible to break leaf springs . They are the most important change Shelby made on the 1st. gen GT 350's. 

Greg in Canada

I was a hard-core street racer, back in the day. I never saw a set like that, and I owned lots of different pairs. They may very well be home made. But either way, they have a small value to people who want to build period-correct "street machine" cars of the early 1970's. 

• Like 2

Nice feature is the ability to lock them up solid for the strip or use the forward bolt only for the street. Ansen always had good engineering in their products. Can't say I ever saw a pair back in the 70's either. Most cars around here ; my Mustang included, used one attached to the U bolts only. Front end free with a rubber bumper to press on the forward part of the leaf spring when accelerating. 

Greg in Canada

I found this thread interesting. Being a teenager in the muscle car era, I was really into this stuff then (and still). I was always familiar with Ansen (especially their slot style wheels and valve covers), yet I never knew they made traction bars. Also, I believed that the OP's bars were homemade due to the spring clamp being located at the extreme forward end. As 1912Staver mentioned, most sets had a rubber snubber located there. If a clamp was used, it was usually attached to tabs welded about midway along the bar. Lakewood bars were the "hot setup" back in the day.  They came painted yellow, and many had a small Lakewood decal towards the front outer side, with the words " traction....action" beside the decal. Corny, I guess, but this brings back some memories of good times. Thanks to 32plywood for posting the Ansen ad.