Cleaning Parts

Wheelmang

I used a combination of petroleum based products for close to 50 years. Mostly it was a 50/50 mix of diesel and gas. It worked great. I finally had to break down and buy a new parts cleaner. This is a personal home shop. This new water based product stinks in comparison! I am using 1 - 1 cleaner vs water ratio. It foams like crazy. Most of what is being cleaned needs to set overnight and then it comes out with a slimy residue. That still requires significant scrubbing and then a rinse down with more water. Then it needs to dry before anything more can be done with it. I did two identical components today. One my old way, in a bucket, and the second in my water based parts washer. (It set overnight) It took more than twice as long (15 min vs. 35) to get the second piece to paint (not counting the overnight soak). Is anyone using a petroleum based product in their home garage, water use only, parts cleaners? Will I get arrested by the EPA? ? I am about ready to drain the new washer and put a couple of 5 gal buckets in it and go back to my old way. It will make a great stand for the buckets. 

Apologies to any environmentalist. 

EPA is only worried if you dump it or have an air permit.  They still sell diesel fuel but I would not mix with gasoline.  I like ATF fluid mixed with diesel fuel.  If you want a water based cleaner go to the dollar store and buy their cleaner.  It works and is cheap.

• 1 month later...

If you have a Tractor Supply store, which is a chain of stores throughout the U.S. around you, they sell a product that is petroleum based in 5 gallon cans called PSC1000. I bought two for my parts washer and it works great. I've cleaned up my transmission parts and it does a real nice job.  Sells here for around $38 for 5 gallons.